Home Theater PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get good onboard video like the MSI board I suggested to you in your other post.

It has almost every connection you'll ever need. Get a cheap CPU like the 3000+ and get a TV tuner that has hardware encoding to keep the load off the CPU.

Get a nice big hard drive for video storage and a DVD Burner.

it depends on what OS you're going to use

for Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (lol) you might need more hardware than is necessary.

for linux/mythtv would could get away with a sempron 2200+, 256mb ram and a geforce 4 mx4000

I used Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 before.......
and I dint really liked colors and such....

That MythTV looks pretty good... is there any other distros like this?

what do you do with a htpc, i geuss hook it up to a big monitor or tv, why cant you just use a dvd player?

i guess your question is whats so different about an htpc? well i have one and it is great, i can watch live tv and pause it record with he touch of a button and even provides a tv guide on screen it shows a selection of all the movies playing on tv right now and ones coming up you can program it to record a whole series even if it is on different channels or times. i can listen to music view my pics and lisen to radio (through my tv tuner) i have all the x-men cartoons all the series and episodes, its great. i have windows media center 2005 but its not good if you use it as a desktop too it uses memory like a true beast, like after i visit 10 webpages and check my mail, ill get that virtual memory low windows error. even with 1 gig

i see, so you have a tv card in it, but isnt it a pain in the *** to have to wait for it to boot, just to watch tv, and when my pc had a tv card the quality was crap, and it went jerky sometimes, was that cos it was a naff tv card, or does haveing a decent graphics card and lots of ram help?

other than that i see your point, pausing, having a big hdd and recodring just like that

why would you turn it off? leave it on all the time. no reason to turn a computer off unless you make a hardware change or compile/install a new kernel

the quality is excellent.

you only need lots of ram if you're using windows
mythtv only needs like 256mb, but i recommend at least 512 - 1gb

kdar - there is knoppmyth, its very nice and is what i use on my mythtv box. you should check it out, there are very detailed instructions on how to set it up with a hauppauge wintv pvr-150. plus the distro comes with mythtv so its very simple and requires no installation or compiling mythtv

on that note, (dont mean to go so off topic) everyone seems to leave the PC on, how much doews that cost, i mean if youve got a 500w psu, thats like haveing 8 light boulbs on 24/7?

do you know it only costs 6 cents to power a lightbulb for an entire day.. thats a rough estimate

"The electric company bills its customer by the kilowatt-hour. When you turn on something that consumes 1,000 watts for one hour, it consumes 1 kilowatt-hour. Or if you turn on something that consumes 100 watts for 10 hours, it consumes 1 kilowatt-hour.The rate you pay for a kilowatt-hour varies depending on where you live."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom