Home server build

fallenapples

In Runtime
I want to build a home server. I was going to buy a NAS, but I will be using this for an ftp and a small e-mail server in the future. So I want to know the difference between a server mobo and a regular mobo? I was thinking to just buy an i3 and an intel mobo. And what is the difference between a server cpu and a desktop cpu?

These are what I had in mind:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C202 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard - Newegg.ca

Intel Core i3-3250 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1155 55W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I33250 - Newegg.ca

or

Buy the GIGABYTE Intel MATX Motherboard Bundle at TigerDirect.ca

A server CPU is going to have a lot of cores/threads so that you can multitask a lot - since that's what servers will be doing, or run separate VM's for each specific task (FTP, email, web, etc.) and dedicate 1 or 2 cores to each VM. A server board is going to take ECC RAM, and probably not have much for expansion slots other than for things like RAID cards and such.

For a basic home server for FTP/files/web, an i3 should be ok... email server is what could be taxing, depending on how you plan on setting it up and what you plan on using.

I can't imagine an email server taxing the i3 unless it has a lot of users. Going to assume that isn't the case here. Last link should do fine.

I can't imagine an email server taxing the i3 unless it has a lot of users. Going to assume that isn't the case here. Last link should do fine.

Exchange can be fairly resource intensive from what I've heard.

I want to get 1U case to reserve space. What kind of PSU is suitable for a simple server? should I go for a 250W? These 1U PSUs don't seem to be as main stream.

Back
Top Bottom