Home network for streaming Dvds & Music - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 05-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Home network for streaming Dvds & Music

Hi there,

First off I am a novice at this sort of thing.

I am looking for some sort on storage device to store my dvd collection on to get rid of the dvds them self.

At present I have the house hard wired in every room as wifi seemed a little unreliable.

Sonos system currently working from a 1Tb (2 x 500mb) on raid1 Buffallo linkstation nas drive which works ok
Smart tv in lounge & master bedroom
2 more on way when funds allow
rack with patch & switch
Nas Drive in rack.

I have put 3-4 movies on the Nas drive which work fine but my concern is that if I have more that one device streaming from the nas drive will it cause problems.

My main question is that I am looking to purchase a media centre as the Nas will be full if all my movies are put on it, which one are you guys using. Also what features should it include.

Last of all its just for personel use & not to be accessed via outside the house.

Buffallo Linkstation seemed like a good idea as it would fit along side my other one that runs the music for sonos.

Any advice will be appreciated.

e-gray1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Home network for streaming Dvds & Music

If the NAS device is gigabit the 2 combined drives should be sufficient for 4 or so people to stream BD rips. Even more with DVDs. Each BD rip should only need about 6MB/s and in RAID the drives should be able to sustain at least 100. The easiest way to test is run a movie off each device and see if there's lag.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote