Holy Crap.. My Chipset fan wasn't working for the last few weeks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Wow O_O

I'm amazed at the pure durability of the nforce4 chipset. I'm sure it was running at temperatures of over 70C and it still didn't die out on me.

The MSI K8N Neo4-F is an amazing motherboard, lots of great features, however has one major drawback. Its chipset fan. To say the least, it sucks, big time.

Its noisy, and it spins up to 8000rpm to keep the northbridge at a nice chilly 20-25C. I tried throttling this with SpeedFan but still no avail, the chipset fan will always be noisy and annoying.

A month ago the chipset fan started whirring and making loud noises, fearing it being broken I tried to reoil it but didn't know how, so everytime it would whirrrrr id just open my case (Sonata II) and just push down the fan physically, it would just slow down and start up with less whirr. I thought it was fine. A few weeks ago I noticed the chipset fan noise was gone. Totally disappeared. I was wondering what happened to it, and then i opened up the Cool-n-quiet application controlled fan controller showing my NB Fan speed at 0rpm !!

I was astonished. I was thankful though, that my motherboard didn't overheat and die. I opened up my case and just saw the fan not spinning, i touched the surrounding heatsink and got a burn on my index finger!! (yeah it was hot). I just simply forced a tiny rotation with my pinky finger on the fan and it began spinning, this time without the loud whir, but still I can now telll the NB is spinning again. Within 2 seconds I touched the heatsink again, and this time no burn, it was actually pretty chilly.

So now I'm back to ground zero. A noisy ass fan but a cool yet loud Nforce4 Ultra chipset.

Anyone feel my pain? :eek:

Yea, but it would be worth it. Consider having that happen again cause you didnt invest and then your board dies. You now have to buy a new board. What would be cheaper, the board or the small amount of cash to make it last longer? The DFI NF3 and NF4 chipset fans go out too, pieces of junk i tell ya.

I need to find a motherboard with passive chipset cooling. Perhaps I should look into that ASRock 939Dual with the ULi chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom