Holiday Savings Build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Holiday Savings Build

Hey All,

Decided to take advantage of the deals to pull the trigger on my new PC. Please take a look and give me some advice.

I'd like to shave a few dollars off but mostly i need advice on what board to get. There is a combo deal...

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more -

That would get me the mobo and CPU a lot cheaper. Does this look like an ok board?

Total in the cart for all of this with the combo deal instead of the mobo i have on the wish list is about $1763. I don't have a max budget per say but i still want to good value for the money.

Will there ever be a time in the life of this PC when i would want to go over 16GB of RAM? Should i consider going with 2x8 instead of 4x4?

A few notes:
1. The PSU is overkill but its a good price (i think) if you see a better deal i'm open to it.
2. I could save some by going with a smaller SSD but that is a sacrifice i am willing to make as i want my main game library on my SSD (despite the cons).
3. I have read a lot of good things about the monitor but if someone has a suggestion for a better one around this price point i'd love to hear it. (it will mostly be used for gaming and office work.)
4. I'll probably add a second GPU down the line and two more monitors.
5. I'm not window shopping at this point. I will probably order this tomorrow unless i talk myself out of it.

the1truegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Holiday Savings Build

Yea, get 2x8 instead.

The rest I said in the PM.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote