Hold off for GTX 470 replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't quite understand why people get Phenoms, arn't they no where near as quick as there Intel rivals ?

Idk man, its not worth it to me, but if its what you want, its your money. Just remember that ATI is planning on bringing out new cards again this fall if I'm not mistaken.

I guess if i am totally honest with myself, i dont do folding@home, i don't really use any CUDA apps, and i play very little PhysX enabled games. However, i really really want Mafia 2 on PC. And this game supports PhysX in a pretty big way. A lot of the objects ingame are destructible, and they all use PhysX on the PC if you have an nvidia card and it seems to produce some great affects.

So yeh i am probably subconsciously basing alot of my decision off that one game.

Another thing about the nvidia, it has more video memory. You may well say 1gb is enough on the 5870 but oh how you would be wrong. Even with 1280mb of video memory it will not let me totally max out GTA4, which is a game i play for atleast 5 or 10 hours a week. nVidia cards perform noticeabley better than ATI in that game too.

oh okay, i wasnt sure if they had a Dx11 card. Either way i love my 5870, i think id get another one before i would get a 5970. then when ever Radeon comes out with something better than the 5970 ( 5990? ) i can sell both 5870s and get that for a minimal price out of my pocket.

I still don't quite understand why people get Phenoms, arn't they no where near as quick as there Intel rivals ?

I guess if i am totally honest with myself, i dont do folding@home, i don't really use any CUDA apps, and i play very little PhysX enabled games. However, i really really want Mafia 2 on PC. And this game supports PhysX in a pretty big way. A lot of the objects ingame are destructible, and they all use PhysX on the PC if you have an nvidia card and it seems to produce some great affects.

So yeh i am probably subconsciously basing alot of my decision off that one game.

its kind funny how much money we spend to play a game.

I.E, i spent $1550 to play Crysis at maxed settings.

its kind funny how much money we spend to play a game.

I.E, i spent $1550 to play Crysis at maxed settings.

I often laugh at this point myself. Because whenever all my console-friends ask me why i choose PC games so much, i always say "Games are half the price !" and yes i really do appreciate how cheep PC games are. And then i realise i spend £500 a year keeping it that way..uhm..

that and we dont have to play that rediculous what ever to play xbox online... thats just silly.

but yes, i think consoles will forever be cheaper than a computer.

Uhh. No such thing as a cheap i7 mobo. The most expensive motherboard i bought cost me £60. i7 mobo's are like £150, that a joke ?

To get i7 930, i7 mobo, 5870 will cost me £690. I wish!

I wasn't responding to your post :p It was said earlier i should upgrade to i7, so i took a look at the costs.

With proper air management my GTX 480's in SLI stay below 70C in the Unigine DX11 Heaven Benchmark at stock settings. The heat issue is being blown out of proportion by the haters.

heaven2331.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom