hmm...to upgrade slightly, or to upgrade seriously? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default hmm...to upgrade slightly, or to upgrade seriously?

I probably don't upgrade as much as the hardcore gamers that must absolutely have the best of everything as soon as it comes out does; however, I do like to be able to play games, at nice settings, period...After doing some research on DirectX 10, I have been pondering if placing off doing to many upgrades would be worthwhile as in regards to waiting for the DirectX 10 cards. It's reasonable to assume that most games may be run in DirectX 10 format in 2007. I was just about to make the leap from AGP to PCI-Express, but would it be worthwhile just to get the AGP version of the 7800? That would probably be fine enough until early-mid 2007, correct?

My Rig:

AMD Socket 939 3500+ processor
nVidia nForce 3 motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS sound card
1 gig Kingston 3200 RAM
74 gig 10,000 RPM Raptor 2 hard drive
300 gig 7,200 Seagate hard drive
ATI X800 Pro video card

Now my personal preference for video-cards is ATI; however, they didn't release any of their latest cards in AGP format.

lol, I'm not rich or anything like that; so, I ponder, just get an extra gig of memory and the 7800 AGP version and then upgrade with the direct x 10 cards, or do a little more than that?

Old 04-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The rig you have at the moment is pretty nice. i wouldnt bother upgrading your gfx card until directx10 as its not bad anyway. You definetly dont need to upgrade your hdd's.

When you get a directx10 card i would say upgrade to 2gig of ram, buy a new mobo (sli or crossfire) and a dual core processor because games will be using both cores soon.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well to me, getting the best agp card now, and then in a years time chucking in the bin...along with the cash you blew on it, just to upgrade, sounds a little stupid...why delay the inevetable, just get pci now, your specs are already pretty decent, i say make the leap.....i wish i did.........

EDIT ^^yea i like his finkin
Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Dont do anyupgrading now. Wait until DX10 cards come out, prices by then will have drop down on cpus/mobos by then.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ahh, so I see. I take it, from the general response, that it's suggested that I don't upgrade anything until another half year or so?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

why are you upgrading? you come across a game you couldn't play?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Not yet, but some more FPS in Oblivion would be nice. Lol, getting to use AA in Oblivion would be nice. I have everything set at top settings, but no AA whatsoever. I get down to 14 fps in the highest populated-most npc infested areas.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

wow dude... thats pretty low...

but ya you have a good rig.. upgrading wouldn't be expensive.. just a 939 mobo for like $75 like the msi k8n and a powerful card.. not sure how much you have.. 1900xt or if you can't afford it then 7900gt .. next step down would be like the 7600gt which i don't think its worth upgrading a system just for that..
Old 04-17-2006, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

just lower ur settings.... DUh.
But yeah. dont upgrade, looking at ur specs, Y would u?

Closed Thread