Hitachi drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
For a network storage device like you are planning, that drive would work. I seem to recall some people having problems with Hitachi, but for 2tb at about $100 you can't really go wrong. That said, for the average user I could not recommend this, primarily given how it will have slower read/write times due to it only being 7200 rpm. Also, some newegg (for what they are worth) reviews claim this runs very hot, and it also confirms my suspicion that it will be slow. But speed is not always the most important factor for storage devices.

I'd say go for it, given the price and the intended use, but do it knowing it is Hitachi and potentially expecting a drive that could be DOA or fail in the near future.

You are correct, 7200 is very normal (especially for something like this that will be running continuously), but Just wanted to point out it is not 10,000+ like many hard drives are (which I would recommend more for the average user, not much more cost for the space and a bit faster, just at the higher speeds).

Perhaps I am a bit biased against Hitachi, its just I got a bad hard drive, RMA's it, got another, RMA'd it again, third one worked, but died about 6 months later. Lol Probably just bad luck on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom