Hitachi drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to jobmitsuo
Default Hitachi drives

So just as I begin building a NAS box I notice these drives on sale: - HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Come to 100 with a rebate and some promo code. I haven't had a Hitachi drive in a very long time, i think it was in a P3 build. Thinking two 2tb drives in RAID1 for 200$ isn't bad. I've had some trouble finding any info on this drive beyond newegg reviews. Anyone have any recommendations on this. Worth it?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Hitachi drives

For a network storage device like you are planning, that drive would work. I seem to recall some people having problems with Hitachi, but for 2tb at about $100 you can't really go wrong. That said, for the average user I could not recommend this, primarily given how it will have slower read/write times due to it only being 7200 rpm. Also, some newegg (for what they are worth) reviews claim this runs very hot, and it also confirms my suspicion that it will be slow. But speed is not always the most important factor for storage devices.

I'd say go for it, given the price and the intended use, but do it knowing it is Hitachi and potentially expecting a drive that could be DOA or fail in the near future.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

7200RPM is normal... I have had a few hitachi drives as I recall and I don't associate them with trouble but as with any HDD you just have to take your precautions and hope for the best.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

You are correct, 7200 is very normal (especially for something like this that will be running continuously), but Just wanted to point out it is not 10,000+ like many hard drives are (which I would recommend more for the average user, not much more cost for the space and a bit faster, just at the higher speeds).

Perhaps I am a bit biased against Hitachi, its just I got a bad hard drive, RMA's it, got another, RMA'd it again, third one worked, but died about 6 months later. Lol Probably just bad luck on my part.
Closed Thread