High-performance D2D Backup Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakuancy

Beta member
...'lo there. New forum member here, hoping for some feedback and/or suggestions on a build I'm spec'ing out for work.
We're a full-service computer repair and servicing center, and one of our biggest and most time-consuming tasks is disk-to-disk backups of customer data before wiping their drive with a new OS install.
Our current solution leaves much to be desired...I wont embarrass my company by detailing the level of its inadequacy in these forums. Suffice it to say we attach drives via external USB enclosures and use Norton Ghost to rip drive images onto our disks for retrieval after the OS install, then selectively restore data.
The solution I am considering operates on the same theme...external USB enclosures, Norton Ghost, etc. However I'm looking to beef up the machine hosting these enclosures, both in disk speed and processing power. This is my current spec:

x1 SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DVL-3-O Dual LGA 771 Intel 5000V ATX Server Motherboard With SAS
x2 Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 80W
x8 Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
x2 Koutech Hi-Speed PCI to USB2.0 Card Model KW-2580N4
x3 Seagate Cheetah® ST3300655SS 15K.5 SAS 3Gb/s 300-GB Hard Drive (RAID 0 Config for ~800 GB of storage)

Optical drives are non-essential, though I may include a dual-layer DVD burner for customer archiving. This machine will be doubling as a NAS server so the dual GbE ports are necessary. We also do alot of rar'ing which is why I'm looking at dual Xeons as opposed to a single-CPU solution.
If anybody sees any glaring mistakes besides the lack of redundancy in my RAID choice, or has better ideas or knows of a reasonably priced boxed solution, please let me know. I'd love to go for a RAID 0+1 but I can't justify doubling the cost of this already pricey drive array.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom