High End Perfomance Build - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: High End Perfomance Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysisCore View Post
Yeah. Some places are already selling them.

Current hardware aren't going to be obsolete in one month. You see many people with old hardware and they think it is enough. There is something called upgrading or getting a new build or waiting for 32nm Nehalem CPU.
or waiting for the new core i8/i9 to come out.

basically you can talk all you want about waiting to upgrade or all that, but if you have the money get whats good not what was good. get it?

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
or waiting for the new core i8/i9 to come out.

basically you can talk all you want about waiting to upgrade or all that, but if you have the money get whats good not what was good. get it?
Or how about I get both

Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

so you'll have a really good rig, and then a secondary rig that is made up of 'was good' parts?

i fail to see the logic...
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Newb Techie

On that budget you can't build a "high End" only an "Mid End" assuming high end is the highest one could go.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

no you could definitely build a high end and a mid end rig with 3k..

Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFGLXXX View Post
On that budget you can't build a "high End" only an "Mid End" assuming high end is the highest one could go.
Are you BS'ing or something? 3k is most definitely high-end. If one can buy a Core 2 Extreme in the budget and still be able to afford the rest of the stuff, its most definitely extreme!
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

lol your definition of high end must be from dell.com then.. buying things for double what they're worth
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 11-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #38 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

"Purpose:
Gaming
Server
Benchmark
Daily Use
24/7"
CrysisCore - i would not recomend trying to combine all of these features into a single machine. It doesn't make any sense.
By server i am assuming a general usage machine with file, print, http and DB. in which case a p4 with 1GB RAM and 4 or 6 disks in a suitable RAID config (5 or 10 maybe depending in the importance of the data) would be able to serve 25 clients easily but unix or varient would be a much superior platform.
this specification doesn't match that of a gaming machine at all for which a single disk, 4GB RAM, windows and a good graphics card seem essential.
by my reckoning you should spend $750 on HDDs, controller and PSU for an old PC (and a new case if you need more HDD space that the current one supports) and use this for the server and 24/7 machine. spend $1250 on a brilliant new gaming rig (treat yourself you deserve it) and go on holiday with the rest

and also nosboost -- you dont need to use the same model HDDs in a RAID, they dont even have to be the same capacity. however it is good practise to make the drive specifications match as much as is possible (especially capacity as most controllers are not capable of reclaiming the "lost" capacity off the end of the RAID) eg 3 74GB disks in and a 147GB disk will look like 4 74GB disks

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #39 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysisCore View Post
Or how about I get both
How about you just wait, rather than having to replace your motherboard and CPU, and reinstalling your operating system. Also the fact that you'd save 500 bucks.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Ya, the rest work out, but you can make a cheap server rack from an ancient system

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread