High end gaming graphics - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default High end gaming graphics

As I have not completed mine yet, I was going to ask is building a high end gaming pc worth the extra dollars we all spend and are the graphics that much better than anything a console has to offer. Most likely a ******* question, but I would really like to know how much better the graphics is so I can tell all the fools telling me to just buy a console that this is a justifiable option that will be much better although more dollars.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Default Re: High end gaming graphics

My graphics with my (cheap) 9500gt looks just about the same as console graphics. The high end graphics (probably anything above $200) is going to be much better than consoles (I'm just guessing here based on what I've seen with my friends' consoles). (Other than graphics, PCs are much better to game with because you can't beat the precision of a mouse and keyboard with a controller. Plus you can multitask while playing games...back when I played CoD1 and Cod:UO, I played both at the same time...1 on S&D and UO on Zombies.. (when I died in S&D I played zombies, and when I became a zombie, I played S&D).

Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well, the graphics alone probably wouldn't be worth the money, unless you've got quite a bit of money to be throwing around. If you're planning on getting tons of games, it'll be worth it (Steam sales, ie: everything that Square Enix has published for $75, >$400 savings). Also, mods will extend the lifetime of the games you have, and you can play older games, and there are some games that are legitimately free and good for PC (flash games, and some games like nexuiz, but that's the only one I can think of). The mouse and keyboard is much, much more accurate than a controller.

In case you're looking for a good GPU to max (about) anything (out right now), I think this would max about any game you tried with it. I think Crysis Warhead would be able to get about 30 FPS on 1080p on very high with 4xAA, 16xAF. Well, it gets 31 fps on those settings on 1680x1050 resolution.
Originally Posted by RichM499 View Post
I agree. You should see the Phenom III x12 I am beta testing. It's running @ 6.2ghz. It literally sends so much information to the ram that Smurfs jump out and punch me in the face.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

PC's are much more powerful, but you can't see a huge difference from a distance. It's when you sit very close to the screen like a pc that you can tell. I had my ps3 hooked up to my computer monitor at one point last year, and I could tell how garbage it looks compared to my pc games. While 720p looks great at a distance, when you are up close, it is trash. You need 1080p. You don't normally play console games right in front of the screen though, so you aren't going to see a huge difference. 720p can look exactly the same as 1080p if the distances from the screen are in the right proportion. It is even possible for 720p too look better if you are very far from the 720p screen and close up to the 1080p screen. But generally, the farther away you are, the worse you are going to perform, especially in fps games.
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Ram: 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all the information, your opinions have given me some ammunition to throw at them. PC's all the way.

Closed Thread