High-End Gaming Computer Rig - NO BUDGET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Person. I get annoyed when people call others "stupid" for a purchase. No one pitches a fit at the guy driving a porsche around when he could have bought a VW or Audi instead. If i, or whoever else, chooses to buy THE BEST and can afford it, who is to say that its a "stupid" purchase.

relax man,

everyone's entitled to their opinion

whether you ( or anyone else considers it dumb or not)

Your build is sick, no doubt..

If someone wants to say something else it doesn't really matter because you're the lucky
b@st@rd pushing a 30" monitor to it's knees :D

personally I'm a bang for buck person, as I don't have a lot of money to spend,

anyways,

If i did not have monetary issues I would build this....

Cosmos 1000 Case Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Asus P6t Deluxe/OC Palm Mobo Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

i7 920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

3x GTX 285 "Black Edition" Newegg.com - XFX GX285NZDBF GeForce GTX 285 Black Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

6 GB OCZ Flex PC3 12800 Newegg.com - OCZ Flex EX Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kits Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

60GB SSD Newegg.com - OCZ Core Series V2 OCZSSD2-2C60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II & Mini USB 2.0 Port Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

2x 1TB SATA HDD in RAID0 Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

a massive Corsair 1000w PSU Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

that would put anyone out 3k and then plus a nasty water cooling set up would total a good $3800

if only....

NOTE: I choose a 920 over the $1000 i7 965 because I consider it ridiculous to spend another $800 for the same architecture with unlocked features when theoretically speaking overclocking performance from either processor will max out within 100 MHz of each given the same test bench

but that's my strong opinion

others may say otherwise

Just a note of information... an overclocked i7 965 will outperform even a strongly overclocked 920 because the QPI can hit 6.4GT/s over the 920's 4.8GT/s.

I am in no way trying to justify buying this processor though. I am just giving you a little bit of information for your brain. I completely agree that it is a waste of 7-800 dollars because 99.9% of users won't need that little bit extra power because they won't even use the applications that gain that advantage and even if they did, its probably in a home setting where the extra few seconds doesn't do anything for them.

Just a note of information... an overclocked i7 965 will outperform even a strongly overclocked 920 because the QPI can hit 6.4GT/s over the 920's 4.8GT/s.

I am in no way trying to justify buying this processor though. I am just giving you a little bit of information for your brain. I completely agree that it is a waste of 7-800 dollars because 99.9% of users won't need that little bit extra power because they won't even use the applications that gain that advantage and even if they did, its probably in a home setting where the extra few seconds doesn't do anything for them.

the 965 still craps out around 4.5ghz though. And the QPI on a 920 can hit the same speed.

OK, I've changed my mind. I'm going to choose an i7 920 now. Now I've just got to find out how to overclock. :)

Edit: Also, should I do 2-way SLI and a sound card or 3-way SLI without a sound card. Does the sound card make much of a difference? Is there any way I could have a sound card AND 3-way SLI. Would I be able to run Crysis with max settings and a high frame rate with two GPUs? Sorry about so many questions. :)

Edit2: Here is the rig because I haven't updated it for awhile and its not on this page yet.

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
MOBO - Newegg.com - ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
GPU - Two or three of these - Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Sound Card - If I get three GPUs, I won't get this - Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
TV Tuner - Might not get one
RAM - Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD - Two of these - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Optical Drive - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

Case - Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ07-BW Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Monitor - 30"
Keyboard - Newegg.com - Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards
Mouse - Newegg.com - Logitech G9 Black 5 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser 3200 dpi Gaming Mouse - Mouse
Speakers - Newegg.com - Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Speakers

Heh, dont use crysis as a benchmark for anything. The engine is crap. As far as soundcards go, onboard works quite well, and unless you are some audio freak, will work perfectly fine. Also unless you plan on going with a 30" monitor, you dont need 3 285s.

for the record, yes I know the QPI speed is 6.4 on the "extreme" but in all fairness I believe it is just a marketing strategy of Intel's to try and gain more buyers into dumping ridiculous amounts of money into the i7 965

an just so you know the GTX 295 is already a dual PCB card meaning it's already two GPUs in one card so 3-way SLI with the GTX 295 isn't possible (unless nVidia launched some sort of 6 way SLi drivers) and too be honest I only suggested the GTX 285's because they are the fastest single GPU based card out but they are in reality merely an overclocked GTX 280.

And as far as a sound card goes why not just look into the Asus Rampage Extreme as the sound card it comes with is nearly parallel in quality to the x-fi "extreme",
I'm an audiophile and the difference is in the features, the included sound card that ships with the Rampage is just repackaged version of the x-fi IMO
and you still will have room for 3 way SLi if you deem that necessary

Heh, dont use crysis as a benchmark for anything.

and i have to agree, The original Crysis engine isn't efficient by any means but it sure is pretty, and I play crysis all the time,
Warhead did make good strides though, now if the next installation in the series would just take advantage of TLP
and if CryTek would multi-thread it's shaders for the future generation of processors The CryEngine wouldn't receive so much grief

Heh, dont use crysis as a benchmark for anything. The engine is crap. As far as soundcards go, onboard works quite well, and unless you are some audio freak, will work perfectly fine. Also unless you plan on going with a 30" monitor, you dont need 3 285s.

For the record, yes I know the QPI speed is 6.4 on the "extreme" but in all fairness I believe it is just a marketing strategy of Intel's to try and gain more buyers into dumping ridiculous amounts of money into the i7 965

an just so you know the GTX 295 is already a dual PCB card meaning it's already two GPUs in one card so 3-way SLI with the GTX 295 isn't possible (unless nVidia launched some sort of 6 way SLi drivers) and too be honest I only suggested the GTX 285's because they are the fastest single GPU based card out but they are in reality merely an overclocked GTX 280.

And as far as a sound card goes why not just look into the Asus Rampage Extreme as the sound card it comes with is nearly parallel in quality to the x-fi "extreme",
I'm an audiophile and the difference is in the features, the included sound card that ships with the Rampage is just repackaged version of the x-fi IMO
and you still will have room for 3 way SLi if you deem that necessary

Thanks for telling me about Crysis and I will probably just go for motherboard sound.

I am going to get a 30" monitor so what would be more powerful - 3 285s or 2 295s?
Edit: Never mind. I'm going to go for 2-way SLI with the 295s. Here is the updated rig:

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
MOBO - Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
GPU - 2-Way SLI - Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
RAM - Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD - Two of these - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Optical Drive - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Case - Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ07-BW Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Monitor - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SyncMaster 305T Black 30" 6ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 1000:1 - LCD Monitors
Keyboard - Newegg.com - Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards
Mouse - Newegg.com - Logitech G9 Black 5 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser 3200 dpi Gaming Mouse - Mouse
Speakers - Newegg.com - Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Speakers

Grand Total: $4305
Would a 6ms 30" monitor be good for gaming?
And also, will I need water cooling for it or are the fans that come with the case good enough? I will be overclocking to about 3.4GHz-3.6GHz.

From what I have been reading people are having no problem with 3.2 on the stock cooler. Since you want more than that you would need something like the sunbeam (CR-CCTF 120) or thermalright (ultra 120) aftermarket heatsink to reach 3.6. I believe it is somewhere around 3.9 to 4.0 where you would need water cooling.

Water cooling is way cooler (no pun intended) but can be a bit of a pain. For your system it might be a nice touch. But, by the end you will have two loops one for your proc and mb and a second for your video cards and spend a ton of money but it would be oh so pretty if done right.

From what I have been reading people are having no problem with 3.2 on the stock cooler. Since you want more than that you would need something like the sunbeam (CR-CCTF 120) or thermalright (ultra 120) aftermarket heatsink to reach 3.6. I believe it is somewhere around 3.9 to 4.0 where you would need water cooling.

Water cooling is way cooler (no pun intended) but can be a bit of a pain. For your system it might be a nice touch. But, by the end you will have two loops one for your proc and mb and a second for your video cards and spend a ton of money but it would be oh so pretty if done right.

So if I only over-clock to only 3.2GHz I won't need water cooling? OK, thanks. Would the extra 400MHz help much anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom