High End Cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what you guys are saying is i wont see any difference from the E6600 from the Quad core?if so what a rip....

Alright, here's some benchy's for you since no one else posted them:

AnandTech: Intel's Core 2 Extreme QX6700: The Multi-core Era Begins

Just go straight to the benchmarks unless you want to read the whole article :p. The quad cores gain about 15 sec more in encoding which is why if you were encoding a LOT that would make a difference, but if your only encoding a few videos here and there....not much difference. Gaming preformance though is exactly the same, and actually the dual cores seem to gain a couple of frames more then the quad's with exact speeds. Also the quad's don't overclock as much since they produce more heat, so you lose some overclocking abilities as well (which is bad if your like me and want as much out of the cpu as possible with decent cooling :p).

So I don't think the extra 15sec in encoding is worth $500 (if you went for the q6600). I would use that for a better gpu, some really nice 5.1 speakers or something that seems worth more for a casual gamer/casual computer user. But again if you were a hardcore encoder that needed a computer to constantly encode LOTS of videos or music files w/e then the extra $500 would seem worth it (the 15sec would start to add up ;)).

Hope that explains my point of view now.

Wow the e6600 is really that good?Well i guess that ill get an e6600 until intel makes their quad cores have an actual advantage over the dual cores

now another thing, will the dual cores be price dropped when intels new quad cores come out later this year?

Ok ive read your link about the Extreme versus the dual cores, it shows the E6700 beating the E6600 almsot every time, What do you guys think about the E6700?

Well of coarse the E6700 beats it every time as it's faster! That's at stock though!

If you really want the most powerful PC then your going to want to overclock or even a stock X6800 will easily be beaten by my $180 buck E6300 @3.22ghz.

In terms of overclocking the C2D the E6600 and 6700 overclock exactly the same therefore theres no point.

Anandtech didn't compare an overclocked e6600 to a quad core, but they did compare an overclocked e6300/e6400 and an overclocked e4300 (the cheapest core 2 dou you can buy) to the other core 2 dous.

AnandTech: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300: Affordable and Highly Overclockable
AnandTech: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 & E6400: Tremendous Value Through Overclocking

This article shows you how far the e6600 can go with overclocking on air:

AnandTech: Intel's Core 2 Extreme & Core 2 Duo: The Empire Strikes Back

They get it to 4 ghz stable but i doubt you would want to leave it that high (temps are prob high) on air. 3.4 ghz (what ive got myn at on a zalman 9500) is sitll fast. So my e6600 will beat a stock x6800 since they both have the same specs, but my e6600 is overclocked to 3.4ghz and the x6800 is at 2.9 ghz. Now the x6800 can overclock really well with the unlocked multiplier, but its still as expensive as the quad cores. So you might as well go with the qx6700 if you consider the x6800.

The e6700 only has an extra multiplier over the e6600 which may get you a little higher in overclocking but not the much. I actually use one less multiplier on my e6600 so i could get more fsb out of my ram...8x425 instead of 9x377 (so the e6700 would have been a complete waste of money for me). So again we're back to the " is the extra few seconds less in encoding or few frames more in gaming" worth $200.

All in all the e6600 is the best cpu for price and overclocking. If you were on a budget (which your not since you were considering the quad core), the e6300 or the even the e4300 are great cpu's that have decent overclocking potential. The only thing you lose with the lower end core 2 dou's is the extra 2mb cache. But again your not on a budget so the e6600 is perfect for you i think.

As for a motherboard, if you want sli then the 680i boards are your best choice. The 650i boards are the budget sli boards that will run sli at x8 x8 speeds compared to the 680i's full x16 x16 speeds. If you don't plan on sli'ing, then the 965p chipsets are awesome, rocksolid mobos.

Good 680i boards are the evga 680i or the asus p5n32-e (the striker is just too expensive for some extra gadgets and asus's cool name tag :p).

Good 965p boards are the asus p5b-deluxe (the best hands down my opinion ;)) or the gigabyte ds3. Go with the p5b-deluxe though. I have had zero problems with myn and it is very easy to overclock with this mobo. The ds3 has great potential for the price but as i understand it, it takes some fiddling with it to bring out that potential :p.

Hope that helps.....man i wrote a long post :p.

ok i guess ill give the E6600 a chance, but i still dont know what to do with the rest of the cash...8800 gtx?anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom