High End Build - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

With a PSU it is more on how they go (not with a bang.) If they just shut off then it will mean that it has saved your system, but if it goes with a bang there is a good chance it has sent a surge to your components.

As you are going with CRT (if you do) then I would reccomend the (NEC) Mitsubishi 230SB 22" - I think it may be called fe2111sb in the US. If not that one then the IIYAMA Vision Master Pro 514 22" - shares the same tube, but it doesn't have the 'super bright' button which makes the darker colours brighter but keeping the lighter colours the same.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 03-23-2006, 04:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Techie

just a question, how will 4gb SLOWDOWN the comp? i know with some boards (including mine) having 4 sticks will downclock the ram to 333mhz, but thats just SOME boards. if he gets a board that doesn't do that, whats hte harm in getting 4gb of ram? will it still slow down the comp?! (doesn't make much sense to me..)

Old 03-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
True Techie

thank you for your recommendation, Trifid. Would this be the CRT you're speaking of? http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-S...0-1194-16-18-x ?

I've more or less decided to take the leap with my current PSU choice, hopefully it won't be too loud.
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Processor:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Retail Core 2 Duo X6800[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] Week 26/B2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]RAM:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]VGA:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 1x eVGA 7950GX2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Sound Card:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] SB X-Fi XM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]HDD:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0/1x 500GB WD Caviar[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Optical:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Plextor DVD-R DL PX-716AL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Speakers:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Logitech z-5500[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Fans:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 9x YL D12SM-12[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Lime\"]Water-Cooling:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MCP355 w/AlphaCool top/PA120.3/AQX MP-05 SP LE/Silverprop Cyclone NexusSX chipset block[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master Techie

...get lcd man..
Old 03-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
True Techie

I'm not too interested in LCD, to tell the truth, I see no need in "upgrading" to it, it provides no clear benefit, in fact, the reviews overall are clearly detractors from that point.

Every LCD I have looked into have problems with ghosting, dead pixels, etc. even the 2ms response time monitors suggested earlier and some other 2ms displays.

As I specified earlier, this build will be for gaming, I have never had any problems with CRT in that regard. I truly see no reason to switch over.
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Processor:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Retail Core 2 Duo X6800[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] Week 26/B2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]RAM:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]VGA:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 1x eVGA 7950GX2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Sound Card:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] SB X-Fi XM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]HDD:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0/1x 500GB WD Caviar[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Optical:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Plextor DVD-R DL PX-716AL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Speakers:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Logitech z-5500[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Fans:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 9x YL D12SM-12[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Lime\"]Water-Cooling:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MCP355 w/AlphaCool top/PA120.3/AQX MP-05 SP LE/Silverprop Cyclone NexusSX chipset block[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Techie

eye strain? lcds don't "refresh" the same way
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by aliasaid
just a question, how will 4gb SLOWDOWN the comp? i know with some boards (including mine) having 4 sticks will downclock the ram to 333mhz, but thats just SOME boards. if he gets a board that doesn't do that, whats hte harm in getting 4gb of ram? will it still slow down the comp?! (doesn't make much sense to me..)
They would slow down cause windows does not have a operating system (YET) that could utilize 4 gb, i think VISTA can use 4gb
I think other parts of the computer arent compatable to 4gb yet either.. but dont quote me on it.

I also have a question... wat is vista.. is it an operating system?
I think it is.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Vista is the new OS that is vowed to be good first time around (and not another ME) but its requirements are stupid and pointless.

I have the exact same opinion on LCD's as Dwarf, I find it so annoying seeing a dead pixel or a lazy one. Most warranties state you need 5 to return it, and some say they have to be around the centre. :@

Eye strain isn't a problem especially when you have the refresh rate at 100hz, which that monitor will support upto 16X12.

That isn't the monitor Dwarf, it should be a 22" one, here is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Its not that Windows can't support 4gb's of ram, its the system, as it is too much on the memory controller. You can have 4gb's of ram in a server and it will improve speed.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Windows is a 32-bit operating system. 32-bit does not have the ceilling room to deal with 4GB. It will become unstable hindering computer performance. Even the 64-bit version has problems. Vista should take care of this.

Besides your not going to experience a bigger improvement over 2GB even if windows XP could handle it. XP while running a games doesn't even use all of the 2GB. Vista however is a memory hog and 3 or 4GB will definatally help. You have to have at least 1GB to run Vista somewhat decent.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
Windows is a 32-bit operating system. 32-bit does not have the ceilling room to deal with 4GB. It will become unstable hindering computer performance. Even the 64-bit version has problems. Vista should take care of this.

Besides your not going to experience a bigger improvement over 2GB even if windows XP could handle it. XP while running a games doesn't even use all of the 2GB. Vista however is a memory hog and 3 or 4GB will definatally help. You have to have at least 1GB to run Vista somewhat decent.
Yeah, but Vista utilizes external HDDs as RAM. I think that is awesome! I have a 160GB external HDD and that thing would be great to use as a 160GB of RAM. I didn't believe that such a thing was possible, but I checked the Vista website and looked into the performance section of the Vista website talking about the EMD (External Memory Devices).

HSF: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
RAM: 4GB G.SKILL @ 4-4-4-12
VCard: EVGA 8800GTS G92 @ 700/1000
HDDs: 2x 750GB & 250GB
Optical: Sony NEC SATA DVD Burner
PSU: Silverstone 750W Modular
Closed Thread