Hey, need some help here for an upgrade..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbeh

Beta member
Hey all, just like to start by saying I'm a total newbie at everything hardware related really, even though I've been a gamer for about 10 years or so. All the knowledge I have is basically somewhat common sense and experience stories from friends..

So here's the thing, I'm upgrading my current CPU, not really on any special budget though.

Current basic info..
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ (1024KB L2 Cache, Socket 939) @ 2412MHz.
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (Processor: GeForce 7800 GTX), 256MB.
Shuttle XPC SN25P
2GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 400mhz IIRC.

However I'm thinking of going down to 2x 512mb 2-2-2-5 400mhz as I hear it's the best for CS recoil. (is getting 4x 512 worth it?)

And seeing as how I ONLY play CS when I do play, I've been wondering if I shouldn't just stay with the PC3200/Single core setup and go to G-Skill or OCZ 512mb 400mhz 2-2-2-5 memory along with a FX-57 single core? instead of going over to C2D, therefor having to buy a new motherboard type, new memory that's higher mhz and worse timings, not to mention that I'm currently running a Shuttle XPC SN25P, so I would basically have to renew everything and that's really something I'd like to avoid :)

And for a gfx card .. I've been wondering if I should get a 8800GTX/GTS, a 7900GTX, or even something lower .. then recently I was offered a 7900GTO cheap from a friend and that offer still exists if I want the card since he's getting a 8800GTX.

What are your opinions on these subjects? :)
Any and all help/criticism is welcome :cool:

why would you want to upgrade the graphics card to a 8800gtx when all you play is CS. The 7800gtx should be plenty for CS.

If you do upgrade to a 8800gtx, you should upgrade to a dual-core as well. I wouldn't upgrade to a single core fx-57(single cores are phasing out...heck we already have quad core :p), so $319 for a single core is a bad idea i think. I'd go for a skt 939 x2 4400 instead.

The 7900gto's are underclocked gtx's. If he gives you a good price and the card is still good, id go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom