Here you go! Awesome Budget AM2 Gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you trying to tell me that 10 dollars over your budget is ruining your budget? Because you mentioned more expensive alternatives, such as the x2 3800+, or the FSP, etc. The x1900gt and x1950gt definately fall into this budget. :\
Newegg.com - Open Box: SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950GT 100199L HDCP Video Card - OEM
x1950gt = 120$ +10
x1900gt = 130$ +20
Tell me, where for 10 dollars more can you make such a large improvement performance wise?

i dont know if i just have the best 7900gs in the world or what...
i play bf2 at EVERYTHING high, AAx4...and i've run it at 16 w/no real problems(if im feeling like it hah) and i get no lag at all(at 4)...which i assume means that i have a decent framerate. but i hear people say all the time "blah blah blah, 7900gs, blah blah blah, medium settings, blah". not in this post, but in general.
now kids, mine performs excellent wether i have it stock or overclcoked to 550/825+.
i usually run it at stock, as i dont really see the need to oc it unless i am doing a benchmark.
i guess what i am trying to say is...
i love my 7900. thats about it.
and sora, by the way...great post man. makes me want to buy a 500.00 rig just cos. actually it gave me good ideas for my mom's new one that i will build (when k8l comes out for me heh heh heh).
oh yeah we need a dvd rom...
may i suggest:

Newegg.com - LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model GSA-H42N-BK - OEM

LG for 28 bucks. i have this one, and it works just fine.

Sora, tahts really funny i realized that same thing today. Hpwever for $100 bucks more you can build a core 2 duo that will kick that crap out of that AM2. But nice build regardless.

100 bucks more and kick the crap out of? Please you would need almost 115 if you wanted it to "beat it down" becuase that's what you would have to overclock to speeds where an X2 overclocked couldn't compete.

The Biostar Board an X2 3600, and stock cooler will overclock probably to around 2.4ghz, which is actually a little faster than a stock E6300. The thing is to find a board to overclock a C2D you need to pay around 110 for a 650i or S3 as opposed to the 78 biostar which is a good overclocker. Then you would need to spend 80 bucks more on an E4300. Please Intel fanboys get it through your head that the X2's are not much slower than a C2D. They will play games and do everything you need for half the price of a C2D while being a only a tad less efficient. This is a BUDGET system and a Core 2 Duo should not even be thought about becuase then it eliminates the whole BUDGET of the system.
Also As stated an open box X1950GT or X1900GT would be better but it's still open box here and some people don't like it. If you were going to buy a new card around 150 though the 7900GS beats both of the GT's easily after minor overclocking of the card.

Once again these are all BUDGET parts made to go in a system say 450-500 bucks....not an 700-800 Core 2 Duo system.

Any of the three cases I suggested and the stock cooler will keep it cool enough around 2.4ghz or so. The 65w X2 3600 I have heard of hitting 3.0ghz on air.

Any of the three cases I suggested and the stock cooler will keep it cool enough around 2.4ghz or so. The 65w X2 3600 I have heard of hitting 3.0ghz on air.

yeah dang i've read the same thing.
i'm thinkin of gettin one just to see if it will do it on my abit mobo. although, i the ability of my mobo to handle high fsb will limit it(also it is nf4 not the best for socket am2). as the 3600 has a 9.5 multi, requiring around 320mhz to reach 3.0ghz.
i dunno...i'm still thinking on it.

I'm taking your advice and building a system from your suggestions. I got the cheapest suggestion for each part, except I'm getting a 3800. I had a similar build going but you saved me $50, and increased the performance. You are my hero.

I'm glad to hear this man! I was wondering if it would actually help anyone since I just did it becuase I was bored and ecstatic that I COULD build a powerful yet cheap system at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom