Here it goes | build - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Here it goes

if I remember rightly, 4 can go in the 8. 8 provides more power for overclocking and infact many boards come with a sticker covering 4 so you do not miss plug your psu 4 into the wrong 4.

You will notice the 3pin connectors will have alignment slots on the back, just align it so the proper 3 are used of the 4. The 4th is for control I believe.

The front connecters should match, can you post a pic of the cable and mobo slot?

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Slacking Guru

Just got out of work will give all advise a shot and upload pics on next post! Thanks again!

Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru

Everything should match up. The 4pin can go in the 8pin slot, just don't overclock. There are adapters you can buy that will convert 4pin molex to 8pin power for the CPU. Just don't confuse them with PCI-E 8pin.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slacking Guru

Sorry I did not post the pics! I was able to sort it out.

two things left to consider. replacing the PSU and RAM.
the 6800K is the first APU to handle 2133 DDR3 without OC. What I am wondering is it worth it? (Cost vs Noticeable performance) I am not a gamer but handle large audio files, photo editing and some light video stuff. From what I have read and think it really would not be that big a of a difference for me. If not 2133 what?

As for the PSU I was going to wait a while and see how long ol' faithful keeps running(HP 300w PSU)-

Sum it up I I have replaced the APU, MB and I also removed the 1TB drive installed a 120 GB PNY XLR8 SSD (under $60 on new egg) and an old 160gb 7200 laptop HDD. I have a 4TB network drive I use for long term storage. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Build Guru

If you aren't using the integrated graphics for gaming then you won't see any performance increase with 2133. Just use 1600.

If you aren't using a dedicated GPU the 300w HP should be fine. Just don't OC the APU at all.

Depending on what the 1TB drive was, it probably was a better drive than using an older laptop drive.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Slacking Guru

both drives are about the same age and both are 7200. The TB was a toshiba and the laptop is seagate.. I combined the 1TB with my 3TB storage.

If I wanted to put in a cheap GPU for learning purposes. Want to see first hand issues that might pop up..

I am aware I would need to upgrade the PSU.. CPU is 100w and if I ran a GPU I would not be leaving myself much room for error. I have not picked out a PSU yet but will down the road. when I purchase a GPU. I am really just using this as a learning experience and at first I was glad I did not dump my bank out on the top end parts.. but now that I have done it I think I would have been ok lol
Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

100w is the TDP. TDP is not power consumed. Actually wattage is about 150w usage in a gaming scenario.

That's why I said without a dedicated GPU. 300w would be the peak power rating of the PSU you have in the machine, meaning anything over half usage is pushing it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Slacking Guru

so here is what I have been thinking. since I need to upgrade the PSU-

what is Biostar? What kind of rep do they have PP?

I was thinking of buying a newer fm1 board for the older A6 AMD chip

Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru

Biostar is a lower end motherboard maker like ECS. They have a meh rep. With the money spent you could get a better Pentium or Celeron Haswell chip, cheap H61 board and not need to upgrade PSU if you continue using the IGP. Will run absolute circles around that APU.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Slacking Guru

yea but I don't have either of those sitting around!

I do have an old A6-3650 APU, 8gb of ram and 300w PSU and some junk drives to go with it

what about this?
ASRock A55M-VS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

In order to OC on this I would still need to upgrade the PSU right?

reduce-reuse-recycle