help for setting up server

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolrang

Solid State Member
hi ,
i need to know the basic requirements for setting up a server with following needs

a) about 250-300users can see videos from it (they cant download) at the same time .
b) same number of users will be playing games and i will be hosting about 10 gaming servers (4 counter strike , 4 age of empires,2 call of duty).

also usres will be connected to server through WLAN and cant share data with each other .

so i need to know these basic things about the machine :-
1. RAM
2. PROCESSOR
3.NETWORK CARD
4. CACHE

AND THIS WONT BE HOSTED THROUGH INTERNET JUST LAN CONNECTIVITY(with permission to users only to download and play through server not from each other).

THANKS IN ADVANCE

It seems that nobody's really sure and TBH it's a pretty unusual requirement. It will all depend on the software you want to use for the video, what resolution and the requirements for the gaming servers. I have looked and they describe the specs required for playing the games but I cannot find the specs required for serving a set number of users.
What I was able to find were some specs for servers being advertised to clans and they seemed fairly reasonable. Not really sure how many simultanious users are normal for clans but I will assume the servers are safe for about 30.
You might be ok with a dual socket motherboard with 5000 series xeons or 2000 series opterons. Either way you will need to fill up on RAM, a good dual socket board will have 8 DIMM slots but 2GB is the highest economical capacity for those DIMMs which puts you at 16GB.
One thing to note is that if the machine I have just described is not powerful enough, the cost of a machine that is will be considerably higher since it will probably involve 4 8000 series opterons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom