Help Request: Problems running WoW - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weavesy

Solid State Member
First of all, sorry - this may not be in the right section.

My problem is I am having some trouble running World of Warcraft. The only possible way I can run it smoothly (that is at atleast 10 fps, HORRIBLE I know) is to turn every single video option down to the lowest possible. Now, I know I'm not running an high performance computer, but this seems a little extreme. I bought this computer in August of 2007, and it was pretty decent around that time. I have no problem playing the game, it's just that I have to turn every single possible graphics option down to the lowest frequency.

My computer is a premade HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop. I know this computer is probably garbage for gaming, and I'm aware I need to build a custom gaming rig soon, and I have plans for it, but until then, this is what I have.

Specs:

Video card:
Nvidia GeForce Go 6150

Processors:
AMD Turion 62 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56
AMD Turion 62 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56

Memory:
960MB Ram

I was thinking part of my problem is the fact that I'm using 960MB of ram. I've heard from some people that Vista alone uses close to that amount of ram. Could upgrading help me? If so, I have never put ram into a laptop before, is this something I could do without having to take it to a shop?

So, is this just normal performance that I'm basically screwed on until I build a new PC? Anything that I can upgrade for under $200 that could help with running WoW?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Ram might help, but I think the problem is your video card - laptops arent really meant for gaming, especially with a "Go"- series video card. The best (and cheapest) way to play would just be to turn the options down - thats the only way I can play on my lappy (but thats for another reason - 4200rpm hard drive)

First of all you should know that playing games on a laptop should be done purely for the fun aspect as you are always going to be struggling with frame rates. Second of all vista is probably the worst OS you could have on your laptop as it requires decent requirements just to run its services let alone 3D games. XP all the way.

My advice would be while installing more RAM would benifit your overall performance of your machine, you would still be chasing higher frame rates. I would save that $200 and add it to a 'gaming' rig which you could build yourself. You would have far greater rewards doing this rather than trying to upgrade your laptop which requires numerous upgrades.

Thats just my personal opinion.

Thanks very much guys. I think I will just mark this laptop as strictly for watching movies and for school.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the lowest it would cost to build a gaming rig that can run most games on high? I'm guessing somewhere between 600-700 but I'm probably wrong.

It's a combination of a few things.... the video card, ram, and HD.
I think the dv9000's Video Card does have 256MBs... but its VRAM. Plus the laptop comes with 533MHz RAM. And of course the HD is probably 5,400 RPMs.

I'm running a PC with windows Vista and only 1GB of ram.
On medium video settings I get around 40FPS on WOW. My computer is OLD too... built it 4 years ago! Although I did upgrade my video card 2 years ago. It's a 6800GS/XT 256MB.

See if you can upgrade that video card, plus take out the 533MHz RAM, and put it 2 GB of 667MHz.

addressing the cost of a gaming rig, it all depends on what res you're going to be playing on. if you're going to be doing like 1280x1028 then you can get like a 500 dollar rig. if you're going to be gaming in a bit higher res then you're gonna wanna spend around 700.

to gaviston, agreed on the ram upgrade, and you can't upgrade laptop cards easily, it takes a lot of know how and a lot of money and is basically a waste of time/money. and also the kind of ram doesn't really matter in this case cause there isn't need for 'high performance' ram, so just go with the most of what you can afford, just make sure it is compatible with your system.

uninstall vista, you should notice a huge difference. your ram should be fine, I used to run it very well with only 512mb. a new video card wouldn't hurt but I think you will be able to get increased frames by switching over to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom