Help with RAM for Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzY_GaMeR_07

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I was just wondering aout the new types of RAM. I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
It reads:

Memory
Number of DDR Slots 4x 184pin DDR
DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Maximum Memory Supported 4GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes
ECC Supported Yes

Does that mean I can only run 3200 RAM? or is that the minimun?
Also what is DDR2 and DDR3 and is it compatible with my machine?

Thanks!!!

~Joe

Okay you can only run 184 pin DDR pc 3200 ram, which is a specific type of ram.Most people use that type of ram because it's the most popular and fits with almost all new motherboards. All other types won't work so make sure you get the right one! DDR2 sacrifices low latency for higher speed just to let you know, but DDR is the mainstream now.

No you CANNOT use DDR 2, only Intel motherboards can and yours isn't one of them. You need to use 184 pin pc3200 DDR ram.

Have two more questions:

1. Whats good latency and how do you change/oc it?

2. I have 4 RAM slots, (2 sets) Can i use diffrent brands in each pair?
ex. kingston (2x 512) and OCZ (2x 512)

I think it will work, but im affaid it will have bad outcome and need some advice.

~Joe

It will work... You can run higher rated ram, up to DDR600 (pc4800) but your system will just run the ram slower.... So it would be the same as DDR400(pc3200).

CrAzY_GaMeR_07 said:
Have two more questions:

1. Whats good latency and how do you change/oc it?

2. I have 4 RAM slots, (2 sets) Can i use diffrent brands in each pair?
ex. kingston (2x 512) and OCZ (2x 512)

I think it will work, but im affaid it will have bad outcome and need some advice.

~Joe

Good latency is ilke 2-2-2-6, that's about as good as it gets, you don't really need something that good. i have 3-3-3-8 and it runs fine, you overclock it by messing around with the BIOS, you need to do some research before you go into that. As far as mixing and matching, that's not a good idea, i'd go with the same exact ram in every slot that you will use. If you mix and match, there is a bigger chance of the ram conflicting and you don't want any of that.

latencies do crap all.
you're talking about 2-3 clock cycles wait.
400MHZ = 400,000,000 clock cycles per second, which is what most RAM is at.

you do the math....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom