help! psu/mobo question! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Exclamation help! psu/mobo question!

ok, so i got my new evga 590 mobo today (mmm-mmm it sho is purdy).
looking at it, noticed it has an 8 pin cpu power plug. my abit kn9 ultra takes a 4 pin.
so, you guessed it...
can i use the 4 pin? it will only fit in one way, on one side(basically it takes up exactly half of the 8 pin), and i would assume the 12v and common wires are the same.
i have read that the 8 pin is mainly for stabilizing a quad core cpu, and that a 4 pin will work fine with a dual core. i dont want it unstable, cos basicaly i bought this mobo to see if i can cruise past 3GHZ with my 4200 (plus i wanted to have a high-end mobo for my new kuma...woot). i DEFINITELY do not want to see smoke coming off of this brand spankin new mobo.
anybody have FIRST HAND experience with this issue?
opinions are usually valued...but i "think" i can use it. i need some confirmation either way.
help me, my friends!

Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: help! psu/mobo question!

If you are not sure, I think it's best to play it safe, and get like a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

okay pins power do line up, evga says "no no" to using the four pin.
but...
they told me it would boot with the 4 pin. he also said that "todays computers take more power", no sh*t. he told me i could use the 4 to 8 pin adapter. the 4 to 8 pin adapter doest do anything except jump power over to the other 4 pins, basically it "y"s off the existing four wires. so, i am worried about current draw(from my psu...running twice as much juice as it was made for on the same wires) as well. i have read that many people have the same type of 4 pin connector plugged into their 680i mobos and still have insane overclocks on their c2d's.
anybody have any experience...
or a 590/680i mobo and using a 4 pin cpu connector?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You should be fine using the 4 pin. I wouldn't use the adapter since it really doesn't help at all. If you have a good PSU, you should be fine.
Closed Thread