help with power supply option

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i got the power supply installed and i bought a sapphire hd 4870 for $119. still waiting on the card to arrive but i believe the 4870 takes (2) 6 pin connectors. will these cables work if i plug the 8 pin side into the 8 pin on PSU and 6 pin side to card and leave the little 2 pin part unplugged?

DSC01332.jpg

ok well this website ( Radeon HD 4890 review | test ) says the hd 4890 requires 16 amps per card. on this forum ( Will my current dedicated power supply run a GTX 295? ) the guy states he owns a VisionTek 450 Dedicated PSU and it puts off ~38 Amps over 2 +12V rails. So how does that sound?

Sounds unlikely 12*38 = 456.

ok so i got the power supply installed and i bought a sapphire hd 4870 for $119. still waiting on the card to arrive but i believe the 4870 takes (2) 6 pin connectors. will these cables work if i plug the 8 pin side into the 8 pin on PSU and 6 pin side to card and leave the little 2 pin part unplugged?

Not if the cable comming out of the PSU ends in a male.

got the 4870 today and installed it. visiontek psu worked out great. it was an inexpensive option for more power. i have another question though. with my old gpu i had it installed in the master slot and the paddle card in the slave that made GPU-Z say x16 @ x16. well i couldn't put the 4870 into the master slot because the card is too big and power cables would bind against the hard drive enclosure. so i have the 4870 in the slave slot. GPU-Z says x16 @ x8 now. what's up with the paddle card? i read before the paddle card tells the motherboard that the slot the paddle card is in isnt being used so the other slot will be x16. is that correct? can i just put the paddle card into the master slot and make my gpu in the slave run @ x16? what do i need to do to run at x16 or does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom