Help pick mb for AMD x6 1090t(upgradability, max # hds, top shelf ram/video support)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbowl

Beta member
Hello all,

1st post, figured you all could help, as the title says, I want a new system built around the new amd x6 cpu:

AMD HDT90ZFBGRBOX Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core Processor - 3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Socket AM3, Processor with Fan at TigerDirect.com

However, the motherboard is very important to me, but I know little about them. My priorities for choosing a motherboard go something like this:

1)total # of supported *internal* hds
2)top tier ram support
3)max amount of ram potential
4)max usb/sata/etc connections

I also want some level of upgrade-ability or avoiding obsolete-ness, but am clueless as to what real upgrade potential exists with motherboards. I would like top tier ram/video/hd/etc support and upgrade potential, but I don't know what these technologies are, nor their significance. I know DDR3 is the standard in high performance memories, but how significant is the difference, for example, between pci-e 1 and 2.0 video cards? If I don't get support for 2.0, will I have a significantly more difficult time upgrading video cards at a later time?

Also, if there are any other features or aspects that I should consider, please let me know. The primary purpose of the pc is to store/move/copy/host large groups of files and will require efficient multi-tasking.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help pick mb for AMD x6 1090t(upgradability, max # hds, top shelf ram/video suppo

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5/UD7
Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Re: Help pick mb for AMD x6 1090t(upgradability, max # hds, top shelf ram/video suppo

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5/UD7

Thanks for the response! I chose the 890fxa for increased sata ports and dual lan. I have a case that I believe will work but was hoping for a recommended power supply.

In order to use the mb, I believe I need to upgrade my gpu, ram, and cpu. As the station will be built/designed around the motherboard, I've gathered links for cheap peripheral(gpu,ram, & cpu) parts that will allow me to initially get the system running. I'm planning on upgrading this station frequently, so a device that will suffice to power the following should be sufficient.

Also, please let me know if there are any potential compatibility issues with the peripheral hardware I'm purchasing alongside the motherboard.

gpu:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR VN8402GH26-YB1NY GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

cpu:
Newegg.com - AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor

ram:
Newegg.com - Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT12864BA1067

I'm obviously searching for the cheapest setup here, but I don't want to bottleneck the *upgrade* process - Ideally a power supply that provide sufficient power, while allowing for minor upgrades would be perfect - Inother words, the minimal w/breathing room...if that makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom