help a noob out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, thanks for all the help guys, its still not as fast as i want it to be, but atleast it doesn't lock up as much anymore... there still the occasional lock up.

if you got anymore suggestions i'll be happy to try them out...

as for my process... i start up with 28, and my cpu is averaging 1% - 4% when i open a program... but when i start to edit, it goes up to about 40%... way better than before...

there are a couple or start up programs that i don't know what they are... like one is blank... no program title... do i turn it off? and then theres that "cftmon" that keeps comming back...

another question i have is, would it be better to buy another hard drive... for example... play the files off of one, and record on another, would that help?

Yeah, 43 processes is a lot. You've got some sort of stuff running. I've got 29 including my browser and Norton AntiVirus (gonna try out that AVG thing, thanks vader).

You shouldnt have any lockups though if you arn't overclocking. Try running prime 95 or something and see if it locks up on you.

I'm questioning the power supply if you are getting lockups, especially if its a no name power supply. You could try using another PSU if you have one available, I suspect that is the culprit.

Sounds like you havnt reformatted in a while if ever, if it's possible I'd do a complete reformat that will elimate any background software or things in the registry that are messed up.

As for overclocking, I really don't think you should since you dont seem to be all that into hardware. You probably wont even notice much of a difference if you do on that card, maybe if you play games.

Also it couldnt hurt to run memtest, its in my sig.

ok, i ran that memtest you told me to, and i got back 54 errors... so now what do i do? do i replace my RAM? ... how do i know which stick is causing the errors?

Well to test what stick is causing the errors, take all sticks but one out and run memtest, if it doesnt get errors then its a good stick. If memtest is failing you definitly have a problem with your memory and I'd suggest you ditch the problem stick and get a good one.

Edit- If you end up with 1 gig of ram after ditching the problem stick then I wouldnt bother getting another stick, unless its a free return policy or something. You probably wont notice a difference unless you have a lot of stuff open or you are playing games (even if you play games you're limited by your cpu and video card anyways so i doubt the ram loss will be noticable if you have 1 gig).

ok ... this is what happened, i took one out to see if it was the one i thought... and i didn't get any errors, so i put it back in, to double check , but in a different slot... and now i don't get any errors with all 3 back in... did i do something right?

Maybe there was a problem with the slot or it wasnt installed securely. Either way leave it where it is and I guess your good to go...

Here's 'Hijack this': A great program for detecting programs you dont want or need:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=10&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13

Heres a trial registry cleaner that works great. After scanning I always 'select all' and 'fix all' and ive never had any problems. I bet you get over 700 registry errors...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4001&file=10&evp=d49458d7de7af317d4f35205e27e043d

A reformat and reinstall is always your best bet for an optimal performing system. But takes some work.

ilovesocks said:
Yeah, 43 processes is a lot. You've got some sort of stuff running. I've got 29 including my browser and Norton AntiVirus (gonna try out that AVG thing, thanks vader).

Yeah what are were ya thinkin!!! Haha...youll love avg, runs silently, doesnt use alot of memory, and works well. Ive tried it with viruses.

Mr_Threepwood said:
You probably wont notice a difference unless you have a lot of stuff open or you are playing games (even if you play games you're limited by your cpu and video card anyways so i doubt the ram loss will be noticable if you have 1 gig).

I thought this too until I upgraded to 2 gbs recently. It has sure made a difference in various performance aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom