help with newly finished build... (DVD codec?) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default help with newly finished build... (DVD codec?)

hey all,

i just finished my build and was distressed to find out that i am unable to play DVD's with my new rig! whenever i try with WMP 11, it gives me an error message saying i dont have the right codec installed to decode the dvd.... i tried downloading a few things that looked promising but they failed to fix it...i was wondering if there is a good site that will give me the right codec to play DVD's with... most my specs are listed in my sig below, but if you need more info about my rig, just ask...

also, i was wondering if there were any important things that i should do now that i have my computer running... ive already played with the BIOS, and though i dont know all that much about that sort of thing, it seemed pretty basic and i think i set it up all right... also i installed anti-spyware, and office suite.... but is there anything else i need to do to/download/configure/install on my new comp?

thanx - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: help with newly finished build... (DVD codec?)

Well to answer your question with a bad one solution...there are a TON of things you can do. I've been building mine for 10 years and I'm still learning.

DVD codec? didn't you get one with your dvd-rom?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to azzyork

congrats on your system...cant wait for mines...but yeah...what cha wanna do is download bittorrent...that program lets download torrents files....after downloading the programs and installing it go to torrentspy.com search from "dvd codec" and download it...make sure you download the ones that have a green bar, that bar mean it has seeders, more seeders, download is faster....after doin that it will save in your bittorent folder...scan all downloads b4 opening it...after scanning and everything is safe, go ahead and open it follow the rest your go to go...good luck...you can do the same with software, mp3, programs, and movies.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

hahaha ya, i know how to bitorrent lol... but i wasnt aware you could use it to look for codecs... is there a specific codec i should be looking for in order to play DVD's with WMP 11?

and my question about what else to do with my comp i guess mainly regards system configuration advice, important programs/updates/patches, and the like... its my first build, but ive been a computer user and gamer for years, so im more than familiar with things like getting a torrent program and such, im kind of looking for more important things lol, but i guess its my bad for not specifying...

ill also double check my cd's and see if the one my DVD drive came with has a one with a codec on it...

thanx - RK

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
(>-_-)>

Send a message via AIM to dashogun Send a message via MSN to dashogun Send a message via Yahoo to dashogun

Do you have PowerDVD? That program usually plays everything.

My computer is now officially out of date :<
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashogun View Post
Do you have PowerDVD? That program usually plays everything.
even without a codec?

and i would like my media player to work anyways, so.... - RK

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

i think vlc media player works with dvd's?????
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Yes vlc mp works with dvds, but you shouldn't bother with that. Just download the k-lite mega codec pack.
Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 3.25 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 3.25 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 3.25 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

go to microsofts site, I am pretty sure there are a lot of codecs for divx and dvd formats.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancec2c30 View Post
go to microsofts site, I am pretty sure there are a lot of codecs for divx and dvd formats.
i was SHOCKED because this was the first thing i thought to do, but low and behold, microsoft makes you PAY to download the codecs from third-parties just so you can play DVD's...

ill try the codec pack and see if that fixes anything, but i also installed Nero and in the bundle came a codec that fixed my Media Player woes, but i still have issues with some other programs not working, so ill dl the ones suggested...

i was reading in another forum about a program called Rivatuner.... is that something i would want to help fine-tune my rig? its suggestions for things like that that im also looking for in this thread.... thanx - J

Closed Thread