Help with New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddyGator

In Runtime
I am putting together a new system that I am going to buy from a local computer vendor. Here is the proposed setup. Please tell me what you all think about this proposed system. I plan to use the system for photo editing, video editing and some gaming.

Mid Tower ATX Case with 600watt Power Supply
EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra 1333FSB (Retail Box 3 yr warranty)
Intel Quad Core 2 QX6600 2.4GHz Processor (Retail Box 3 yr warranty)
4GB DDRII Kingston 800MHzMemory (Retail Box Lifetime warranty)
2x 150GB SATA WD Raptor 10,000rpm RAID 0 Strip (Retail Box 5 yr warranty)
1x 500GB SATA-II Western Digital (Retail Box 3 yr warranty)
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB PCIx Video Card (Retail Box 3 yr warranty)
2X Blu-ray Disc Triple DVD Burner 12X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Quoted Price is $2699

I want to add a TV Tuner card so I can capture and watch tv and record it like a DVR. I am also considering whether I need a better video card.

Any thoughts on this system would be greatly appreciated.

i'd go with a EVGA 680i motherboard and at least a GTX if you are gonna be spending that much money

and do you honestly need a blu-ray burner?

oh yeah EVGA offers a lifetime warranty on motherboards and video cards FYI

I'd do a raid5 rather than a raid0, just buy one more raptor. Raid0 is very inefficient. Buying 2 drives to get to use 1?

Hey MacDaddyGator,
Welcome to T.F.!!

My goodness, you are insane...and loaded.

Well you should drop those Raptors, and get two WD 750GB for RAID 0, as they are almost as fast as those Raptors. Plus you get way more space.

Like mgcook said. Is it really necessary for a Blu-Ray Burner?

Theres a QX6600? Or do you mean Q6600.

Hey MacDaddyGator,
Welcome to T.F.!!

My goodness, you are insane...and loaded.

Well you should drop those Raptors, and get two WD 750GB for RAID 0, as they are almost as fast as those Raptors. Plus you get way more space.

Like mgcook said. Is it really necessary for a Blu-Ray Burner?

Theres a QX6600? Or do you mean Q6600.

QX6600 is Core 2 Quad Extreme 6600, i think, unlocked multipliers

EDIT:nvm

Raid0 is very inefficient. Buying 2 drives to get to use 1?

Seconded. Use that burner to do backups, drop the stupid RAID0 (which offers almost no performance benefit, in reality) and now you've got redundancy *and* twice the hard drive space.

And unless you're into anything that involves loading massive files (like video editing or really heavy Photoshopping with 1GB+ files), the increased RPM of the Raptors isn't going to do you any good, and will cost you more money. Just put the money into bigger drives instead.

If he edits video even a blu-ray disc won't hold the things he needs to backup. A couple hours of RAW HD feed? Oh dear jesus...

NORMAL, NON HD video uses like 400mb/minute...imagine 1 hour of HD? Wowzas.

I'd use a Raid 5, though, not a raid 0.

I will be photo editing with 16,000KB files, using photoshop CS3 and Photoshop lightroom. I will also do some video editing, but I don't know much about the video editing. My daughter has been taking some classes to do video editing. I want to make sure the computer will be able to handle it.

As to the QX6600 versus the Q6600. I don't really know the difference between the two.

As to the RAID, the hope is to make the video processing faster. If the RAID setup is wrong, I need to tell the guy so we get it right.

As to the Blu Ray recorder. I have a PS3 and I thought it might make sense to be able to record movies off cable and to the Blu Ray and play it on PS3 in my bedroom. Upon really considering this, it might be smarter to wait on the BluRay recorder until they become better and cheaper. I really don't have a great need for this.

I am amazed that you guys are offering me smart input. I don't mind spending the money on a good system, but I don't want to throw it away. I want to make sure I am spending my money where it will make the system better.

By the way, don't I need a sound card and speakers?

Thanks again for all of the input.

Just to make it clear, this computer is just for fun, and the video editing portion is for my 12 year old daughter's interest in video editing. It is not like we are going to be making feature movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom