Help with new SSD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Help with new SSD

Today I got a new ssd, and finally a copy of Windows 7(64bit, Home Premium). I got everything working through following this guide: How to: Setup SSD boot drive with secondary Hard disc optimization - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net , but now I'm lost as to how I can access my old information (particularly my games). The HDD that has all my games on is also hooked up to my system, but when I try to get to it it seems like its reinstalling onto my SSD. What should I do? The SSD is a 60gb Vertex 3, by the way.

EDIT: I'm now getting BSOD every 30-45 minutes saying there is a problem with memory management. I am thinking this is happening because I added another 2gb of RAM, but does it have something to do with the SSD?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast

Default Re: Help with new SSD

For the BSOD, you probably have memory errors, so one of your sticks are bad. I recommend running Memtest86+. Another possibility is the settings in the BIOS are not what they should be (voltages, etc). For your old games, you're going to want to probably reinstall them on the hard drive instead of trying to play them as is. Sometimes installers put files in different places than the program files and those aren't in your system any more.

Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

What is the BSOD Stop*** code?

As for help with that guide, you need to ask the guy that made the guide.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I took out the 2gb stick I put in and I haven't had a BSOD since, so it looks like it was a bad stick. And does this mean I have no way of getting my old pics and movies back? I don't actually know how to find those.

When I try to redownload one of my games to my HDD, it says it already exists and over-writes it. This seems like a waste of time, but is it the only way I'm going to be able to get to my games?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast

Unless you had your previous profile encrypted (which I doubt), you should just be able to get them from your old hard drive (Found in Users/{username}/ if you're using Windows 7 or Vista). Are you using Steam to download the games? another client? or a stand alone download?

When I reinstall my OS on a new drive, I reinstall Steam and everything, and reinstall all games (from backups) and download the rest. I never touch my files as they are always on the same drive.

I'm guessing you have not formatted your old drive. In which case, all the windows files are still there, as well as the System Reserve partition that it automatically creates. I recommend you copy all your files (movies, pics, etc) to an external drive, if available, and format that old drive, then put everything back on there so it is nice and "clean."
Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I have all my games download from discs. Since I'm not really progressing at all I'm just going to download them all again. It shouldn't take too long. Thanks for all the help

Closed Thread