Help needed installing Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hi everybody,

I was all excited putting together my PC. I have the EVGA x58 SLI motherboard and the Core i7 920 processor. I put the chip into the socket, and it's all lined up and appears to be flush.

When I close the load plate, and I start pushing down on the socket lever, I start getting a little bit of resistance when the socket lever is at a right angle. When I get the socket lever to about 45 degree angle, I just really don't like the amount of pressure I am putting on it....DEFINITELY don't want to damage the socket area on the mobo, as I guess that will void my warranty. I don't want to damage the processor either. I talked to EVGA support, and they told me to bring it to a PC builder and have him put it in. I really don't have the money for that right now...I already overspent my pc budget.

There is more pressure required to put that lever down when the i7 is in there than when the little protector plate is in there. When the little protector plate is in there I don't really have to apply much pressure on the socket lever until I am hooking it down. Maybe this is normal??

As far as the amount of pressure...it's something I can definitely do with one finger, just more than I was expecting

Suggestions please! I can send pics, and maybe videos if needed. Please keep in mind that this is my first build...I have never installed a processor before.

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

I had to apply more pressure installing my q6600 than I expected... but I re-set the thing 5 times and everytime it was the same... so I just pushed it, against my nature, and viola! it's worked for 6 months since... and a few more removals.. so I assume all is well...

920 i7 on a Asus Rampage Gene II:

DSC09444_1024x768.jpg

Yeah I was a little worried about the bending, but then I finished my build and forgot about it. :)

Yo - I JUST bought and installed the 920 and the x58 motherboard yesterday. I can relate when you say the pressure you need seems a bit much however - as long as its in CORRECTLY (there's actually grooves in the side of the chip so you put it in right) it will take a bit of force to securely hold the chip in place!

and by the way. my new rig is ABSOLUTELY NUTS. INSANE. I LOVE IT. ITS UNREAL. On pcpitstop.com its ranked (other than the hdd, waiting on cheaper SSD's) top 1, 2, and 3 percent of all.

Thank a lot! That worked great...took away all my concern. My system is up and running. There are a few things I have to setup and figure out, but everything seems to be OK. I will post up some pics when I get a chance.

You have to put quite a bit of pressure on it. I know it feels like alot but don't worry, that thing has to be on there tight. Wait til you put the heatsink on. You will probably feel like its going to break your board because its so big (I'm assuming you have an aftermarket one, I don't remember your build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom