Help with my new Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim333

Banned
I posted an earlier version of this yesterday, and thank you everyone who helped me with it. I figure I will post each component and a justification/question about it, please comment and/or recommend better or cheaper parts.

1) Mother Board
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 DDR3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I hope this is a good mb for what I'm doing. This is where I have the least experience. I picked it because of the AM3 socket (in case I want to upgrade later) and the DDR3 RAM. My price range was in the 120$ range.

2) Processor AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX810WFGIBOX - Retail

This processor seems like a great deal for good performance. From what I posted before I gathered that was the consensus. Out of the entire computer, this is the part I am most "sold" on. My budget was around 175$.

3) Graphics Card EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I don't know much about graphics cards. From previous experiences I am partial to Nvidia, but if there is a much better card for the price, I could change in seconds. I am fairly certain that for the price this is a decent card, but please recommend anything you think could fill this spot better/cheaper?
My budget is around 200$, but can become flexible for a good deal.

Also how can I make sure that this is compatible with the Motherboard?

And which is better the normal or overclocker version?
EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

4) Case XION Onyx XON-303 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I choose this case, due to the 3 good sized fans for cooling. Nice looks (this is my first built computer, so I wanted the clear sides with blue LEDs). And good size. Budget around 50$ish.

5)Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

This is another part I am very unsure about. I have been told it is a good power supply, and the 850W should be about right for my system. I realize how crucial a good PSU is the system, so I want to make sure this is good.
Budget approx: 140$

6) RAM
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model HY63I1B16KN - Retail

I'm getting 2 sets of this for 8 gigs, which I am told Vista 64-bit can handle. I choose this based on the speed and the fact that I need DDR3 RAM. I have never heard of the company before and all RAM seemed about the same price. If there is a better company please tell me. Budget: 60$ Per set.

7) Hard Drive
Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Generic 640GB HD, with 7200 RPM and it is SATA 3.0. Anything else need to be said? Budget 75$.

This is my build I hope it is up to spec, and that I am getting a good deal. If not please tell me. The items I am most worried about are the Motherboard, the Power Supply, and the Video Card.

Thank you very much for your help and time.

There is some one that may come along with a better configuration than what you have now. What about your CD/DVD optical drive? Monitor? What games are you looking to play? With the budget you have now, it looks like a solid build.

I haven't had much experience with Adata. Kingston is another option for good cheap ram per set.

You should get a better case! Are u planning on having 2 vid cards in sli/crossfire?
If not , get a cheaper mobo.
You should also get a "better" hdd(IMHO). Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

or if u want a terabyte : Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Also , get a smaller power supply , save a couple of bucks(if u aren't crossfiring) Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

These are only suggestions. I am not fluent in AMD yet , so I'll leave that to someone else. I did think that the cpu u chose was a little expensive.

I haven't choosen a video card yet. I don't really plan to SLI/crossfire. But my thought is that if I get a good card now, and a compatible motherboard, later on down the road when the same card gets a bit cheaper, I can buy a second and get quite a bit more performace.

As for the power supply the 650W is only 20$ cheaper, and for what I am spending on the system, I thought it would be prudent to spring the extra 20$ and have a bit more headroom.

^more headroom is never a bad thing.

If you go with the 790GX motherboard, change your graphics card to the HD 4870 1GB or HD 4890 1GB (if you can find a deal that makes it almost the same price as the 4870). The 790GX only supports crossfire of video cards, which is something that is unique to ATI (using 2 of the same ATI card). Nvidia cards can only do SLI on an Nvidia chipset or X58 motherboard.

Alright, I revamped your build.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

All that together is $750.86 after shipping, then you get 60 bucks back in MIRs. The only thing you have to choose is a case, and I picked these out, they're a good bit better than the one you picked out:

Adding the NZXT will make the total $820.85, and you add a $20 MIR to get back.
The Raidmax will make the total $835.85, and you add a $25 MIR to get back.

Now let me explain my picks.

CPU
The x3 720 BE is a monster processor. It actually outperforms the X4 810 in gaming situations becase of the higher clock frequency. The extra core doesn't really do anything for games. Not to mention overclocking the 720 is loads easier, which will also show an improvement in your gaming; the 810 is a pain to overclock. Benchmarks in gaming here: AMD Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720BE review (AM3)

Mobo
I personally have the Biostar with the 720, and let me tell you, it's a beast of a board for under 100 bucks. It has loads of options in the BIOS to tweak with everything, and it's pretty darn reliable too. If you are worried about the upgrading aspect, look at this page here: AMD Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720BE review (AM3)

RAM
I also have this kit. It's some of the best memory available right now, performance vs cost. With DDR3 you aren't going to see much of an increase in speed, and it's really too expensive to justify it at this moment for AMD builds.

HDD
Self explanatory, it's 88 bucks after the combo discount...little over your budget, but trust me when I say it's worth it.

PSU
If you aren't going crossfire or SLI, you won't need more than a 550w, so that saves you some money. (If you really want to have more headroom, grab the 750TX from corsair. I personally only would do this if you planned on doing Crossfire with another 4890.)

DVD Drive
Obvious.

GPU
Now, the 260 c216 is a great card, but this card just recently came out, and mops the floor with it, pretty much. It's a great card for the cost, and it will suit you well in gaming situations. And it comes with a free 4gb jump drive. :p If you want more on the benchmarks, read here: Radeon HD 4890 review | test

Case
Both have free shipping, and are loads better for the cost than the one you picked out. This is a personal choice. I personally like the Raidmax out of those two.

EDIT: As an FYI, your original build worked out to be over 910 bucks with a DVD drive. (With shipping.)

If he wanted to do an intel build, that would work. I would still get the PI Blacks, no need to get 1066, and the PI Blacks are better for overclocking.

No one has told you yet that you do not need 8 gigs of ram. There is nothing you will be doing that requires that much ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom