Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhpb

Solid State Member
Unfortunately, my friend is stuck with one of those $400 dells thats about a year old. It has no graphics card, 256mb ram, and only PCI slots (NOT PCI express). Well considering the limited options for his computer, and the fact that he's NOT going to buy a new computer, how well would these upgrades be?

BFG Tech Geforce 6200 OC

BFG - GeForce 6200 OC Graphics Card - BFGR62256OCP

1GB Corsair Value Select

Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

That would bring his total RAM to 1280mb.

He has a normal 17 inch 4:3 LCD display with max resolution of 1280x1024.

How well would this computer be able to play games like Half Life 2 and CS: Source, and at what settings and resolution?

If there's a better PCI card, please tell me.

Unfortunately, my friend is stuck with one of those $400 dells thats about a year old. It has no graphics card, 256mb ram, and only PCI slots (NOT PCI express). Well considering the limited options for his computer, and the fact that he's NOT going to buy a new computer, how well would these upgrades be?

BFG Tech Geforce 6200 OC

BFG - GeForce 6200 OC Graphics Card - BFGR62256OCP

1GB Corsair Value Select

Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

That would bring his total RAM to 1280mb.

He has a normal 17 inch 4:3 LCD display with max resolution of 1280x1024.

How well would this computer be able to play games like Half Life 2 and CS: Source, and at what settings and resolution?

If there's a better PCI card, please tell me.

it would either barely play it or lag half the time, he NEEDS a new system

man, just a month ago i was playing counter strike source, and cod2 with no lag on a 19" LCD monitor. And i only had 512 mb of ram and a Geforce 5200.
I didnt check what the settings and resolution were, but it looked fine. So with 1GB ram and a better video card, you should be alright. I did have a p4 2.8 Ghz processor tho.

man, just a month ago i was playing counter strike source, and cod2 with no lag on a 19" LCD monitor. And i only had 512 mb of ram and a Geforce 5200.
I didnt check what the settings and resolution were, but it looked fine. So with 1GB ram and a better video card, you should be alright. I did have a p4 2.8 Ghz processor tho.

if this is true listen cuz i never played cs:s because of my crappy PC, but if it works, thats awesome

Almost any moderately old system can handle CSS. I have an old P4 with a gig of RAM, and an FX5500...that can play CSS on high settings, on 1280 x 1024.

Almost any moderately old system can handle CSS. I have an old P4 with a gig of RAM, and an FX5500...that can play CSS on high settings, on 1280 x 1024.

i have a radeon 9250.... which isn't that good, even compared to the fx5500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom