Help! My friend wants to play Source games! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9
Question Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Unfortunately, my friend is stuck with one of those $400 dells thats about a year old. It has no graphics card, 256mb ram, and only PCI slots (NOT PCI express). Well considering the limited options for his computer, and the fact that he's NOT going to buy a new computer, how well would these upgrades be?

BFG Tech Geforce 6200 OC

BFG - GeForce 6200 OC Graphics Card - BFGR62256OCP

1GB Corsair Value Select

Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

That would bring his total RAM to 1280mb.

He has a normal 17 inch 4:3 LCD display with max resolution of 1280x1024.

How well would this computer be able to play games like Half Life 2 and CS: Source, and at what settings and resolution?

If there's a better PCI card, please tell me.
__________________

nhpb is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpb View Post
Unfortunately, my friend is stuck with one of those $400 dells thats about a year old. It has no graphics card, 256mb ram, and only PCI slots (NOT PCI express). Well considering the limited options for his computer, and the fact that he's NOT going to buy a new computer, how well would these upgrades be?

BFG Tech Geforce 6200 OC

BFG - GeForce 6200 OC Graphics Card - BFGR62256OCP

1GB Corsair Value Select

Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

That would bring his total RAM to 1280mb.

He has a normal 17 inch 4:3 LCD display with max resolution of 1280x1024.

How well would this computer be able to play games like Half Life 2 and CS: Source, and at what settings and resolution?

If there's a better PCI card, please tell me.
it would either barely play it or lag half the time, he NEEDS a new system
__________________

__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

the best pci-e card is the x1300 right?? look into getting one of those....
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 111
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

man, just a month ago i was playing counter strike source, and cod2 with no lag on a 19" LCD monitor. And i only had 512 mb of ram and a Geforce 5200.
I didnt check what the settings and resolution were, but it looked fine. So with 1GB ram and a better video card, you should be alright. I did have a p4 2.8 Ghz processor tho.
bugabooz is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugabooz View Post
man, just a month ago i was playing counter strike source, and cod2 with no lag on a 19" LCD monitor. And i only had 512 mb of ram and a Geforce 5200.
I didnt check what the settings and resolution were, but it looked fine. So with 1GB ram and a better video card, you should be alright. I did have a p4 2.8 Ghz processor tho.
if this is true listen cuz i never played cs:s because of my crappy PC, but if it works, thats awesome
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Console Gamer
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
it would either barely play it or lag half the time, he NEEDS a new system
i played source on a 19in LCD at 1440x900 at medium graphics with an ATI 9250
with the new ram and video card it should run it just fine no need for a new system
__________________
Ryzen 7 1700 / Gigabyte AB35
Deepcool Captain 240EX
32GB HyperX DDR4 / Corsair 750watt
Red Devil 480 / Corsair R270
Sandisk 960GB SSD / 2x Seagate 8tb, 2x WD 4TB
Ronnie is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade2black2004 View Post
i played source on a 19in LCD at 1440x900 at medium graphics with an ATI 9250
with the new ram and video card it should run it just fine no need for a new system
so ur saying i could play it??? thx i'm gonna try and get it :0
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
kobe24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,508
Send a message via MSN to kobe24
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

lol when u gettin new system vernong?
__________________
3D MARK 06 ***14,063*** on vista, use to get it
p4 2.8ghz
Asus p4SD-LA
6800gs ultra
1.5gb ddr400 oem
120gb hdd

The Techies' Bible
kobe24 is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Almost any moderately old system can handle CSS. I have an old P4 with a gig of RAM, and an FX5500...that can play CSS on high settings, on 1280 x 1024.
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Help! My friend wants to play Source games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
Almost any moderately old system can handle CSS. I have an old P4 with a gig of RAM, and an FX5500...that can play CSS on high settings, on 1280 x 1024.
i have a radeon 9250.... which isn't that good, even compared to the fx5500
__________________

__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
""10 Reasons Why PS3 Will Win This Console Generation" - Insomniac Games Chief Creati TheEnd187 Sony Playstation 97 07-12-2007 07:52 AM
Will an external DvD drive play my pc games? Triveria Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 4 06-18-2007 10:10 AM
Games for the Weekend Online Boardgames Osiris PC Gaming 0 05-18-2007 08:27 AM
can't play games on specific resolutions... b1gapl Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 4 04-04-2007 09:43 PM
Wiikey - Testing the Nintendo Wii Modchip Osiris Nintendo 0 04-02-2007 11:19 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.