Help with motherboard and processor purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

renny2077

Baseband Member
Well, I'm thinking about getting an AMD athlon 64 3000+. I would like to get a 4000+ but it's way beyond my price range. As long as a 3000+ is better than a P4, I'll be happy with it.

Is a socket 939 recommended or should I go for the Socket 940?

Can anyone also tell me if this motherboard is good?
MSI RS480 M2 motherboard. Socket 939 support, ATI XPRESS 200 Chipset with onboard graphics, shareable 128 mb vram

My preference is an Asus Socket 940 with a VIA K8T800 based on the money I can shell out.

Thanks!

Socket 940 is generally used for AMD server machines.

For regular computers (and regular budgets for that matter), skt939 is just fine.

Perhaps you should let us/me know what your budget is, because there may be other (perhaps better) options for you:D

My budget is about $450 - for the motherboard and processor. And I want to go for AMD.

Hmm, judging by you asking for onboard graphics, you dont already have a vid card. Since there really isnt much for skt939 mobos with onboard graphics, I will include one in your budgeted price.

Motherboard:
MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard $85.00

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor $273.00

VID CARD:
SAPPHIRE Radeon X300SE HyperMemory 100120 Video Card - OEM $48.00

TOTAL: $406

This video card isnt gonna be that great for gaming, but since you were looking for onboard video in the first place I kinda figured you arent into gaming that much.

Sorry I didn't mention it, I do have a video card. I have to get a motherboard that supports AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom