Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig. - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #41 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Dauntae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,813
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

That sounds like a good plan, Just might be a good idea to get one with 4 ram slots so you can use what you have plus some new stuff to get the 8 gigs
__________________

__________________
New system
NZXT Tempest 410 - I5-4670K - Asus Z87-Plus - SeaSonic SS-750KM3 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular PS
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 1600 (2x8gig) - SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 -Seagate Barracuda 3-TB

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Vinny Vite Vichy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 84
Default Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
That sounds like a good plan, Just might be a good idea to get one with 4 ram slots so you can use what you have plus some new stuff to get the 8 gigs


Exactly. I understand CPU's a lot more after reading PP Mguire's thread. Blew my mind, and actually explained things to me that I could understand. Things that I've briefly read and skimed over in other areas of the Internet. But it was actually explained to me so I could understand it.
I'd have to refer back to it, in order to get it right. But the whole "more cores arnt always better, GPU over cpu," stuff really put a lot into perspective for me.

I should have built my computer myself all those years ago, and researched better.
I have stupid attachment to it, that's why I want to keep some parts from it. I don't want to just scrap it, but it seems im going that route eventually. For now I just want a playable PC.

I'm going to purchase the motherboard and CPU PP Mguire linked to earlier. I'm going to do more research on them also to understand it better this time.
Also reading into DDR3 and DDR4, trying to understand ram better.
I have a power supply, hard drive, DVD RW and case that I know are ok.

Motherboard, cpu, and gpu are next on my list. I'll have them within a few days. Just want to research a bit more.

Also I read in the CPU Stickied thread don't make threads like this unless you can build the rig within a week. I am so sorry I am going over that time. And if a mod wants to remove this thread I understand. It will be another week or so before I have everything up and running I assume.

Again I want to thank you guys for your time and help.

((EDIT))
Also are my motherboard and CPU as is worth anything? If so I can get a few $$ out of it. If not, I will throw them out. I also have the 2 other destroyed GPU's.
If the answer is garbage than I would have no problem sending them off to someone here if they could make any use out of them.
__________________

Vinny Vite Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,278
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Can't really sell things unless you can prove they work.

I thought I had posted in this thread already but I guess not, and I forgot what I typed earlier. Sorry about that.

Don't worry about DDR4 right now. It's still very new and very high enthusiast. RAM speed doesn't matter much anyways as we are nowhere near being memory bandwidth bottlenecked on the system.

This thread doesn't exactly apply to the "wait to buy" situation. You came with troubleshooting then upgrading situation. What I meant on there is basically don't come on here making a long thread asking about parts for a build then say oh I'm gonna build in 2 months.

Basically what I was gonna say in my last post which got lost in a black hole is this. Clockspeed is clockspeed, there is no difference there. 4GHz is 4GHz. The difference is the underlying architecture and efficiency. Intel has a higher cycles per clock which makes them faster at single threaded operations. A good way to put it is this. You can have 2 different cars with the same horsepower but one will be faster than the other. Better launch, better power to weight ratio, ect. Same kind of logic can be applied here.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Vinny Vite Vichy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 84
Default Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Can't really sell things unless you can prove they work.

I thought I had posted in this thread already but I guess not, and I forgot what I typed earlier. Sorry about that.

Don't worry about DDR4 right now. It's still very new and very high enthusiast. RAM speed doesn't matter much anyways as we are nowhere near being memory bandwidth bottlenecked on the system.

This thread doesn't exactly apply to the "wait to buy" situation. You came with troubleshooting then upgrading situation. What I meant on there is basically don't come on here making a long thread asking about parts for a build then say oh I'm gonna build in 2 months.

Basically what I was gonna say in my last post which got lost in a black hole is this. Clockspeed is clockspeed, there is no difference there. 4GHz is 4GHz. The difference is the underlying architecture and efficiency. Intel has a higher cycles per clock which makes them faster at single threaded operations. A good way to put it is this. You can have 2 different cars with the same horsepower but one will be faster than the other. Better launch, better power to weight ratio, ect. Same kind of logic can be applied here.

It is unbelievable how you can explain computers to someone that knows very little. WITH the analogy of cars (ANOTHER thing I have very little knowledge about) and still have it make complete sense to me. Bravo🙌

Ram - back burner.
I think ram I think speed so I think turbo.
When I need to be thinking engine and frame first. Understood. Sticking with what I have. Hoping they work. And will grab another 4gb to make 8. DDR3.

Completely understood about the wait and build "theory".
Completely makes sense especially with technology advancing. Not to mention the package deals and just plain deals that are limited time.

For a bigger picture into my brain:

My plan is to get this PC going. Put $2-400 into it. Use it for a couple months. Then sell it. I hate the huge size of this thing and even tho I have the emotion attachment to it. I want a laptop OR a smaller mid-low gaming system that is somewhat portable so I can use to watch movies and play 1-2 specific games. (LoL and a MMORPG like WoW.

I won't even be using the web. I use my phone for that. I want somthing I can hook up to my television downstairs to watch a movie. (Downloaded from torrents and such)
But then can bring it to my room and game.
I love the compactness of a laptop.
But want something upgradable and powerful. That isn't 3-4k.
Anyway that's a topic for another thread.
Just want it known, I don't think I intend on keeping this rig for awhile(long enough to upgrade it further) but want a few more months out of it and also really enjoying the research and building of it (another reason I don't want a laptop and want to build something)


((EDIT))

@PP Mguire-
Do you want this "junk"?
I will mail it to you if you think you could make use out of it.
Vinny Vite Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Vinny Vite Vichy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 84
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Oops, I also kept saying I'm going to grab the motherboard and CPU you linked too. I made a mistake for anyone else reading, you mentioned them but didn't link them. I just googled them right after.
Here they are (I believe) which are great price and I'm seeing if I can get the same locally, price and all.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813132044

CPU:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819117374
Vinny Vite Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,506
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vite Vichy View Post
But want something upgradable and powerful. That isn't 3-4k.
Anyway that's a topic for another thread.
A used gaming laptop would be perfect then. Can be found for $1200 or less (I've gotten 2 for $800 a piece, and my current one was $1200, but sold one of the gaming laptops I had for nearly what I paid for it, so the upgrade only cost $400).
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Vinny Vite Vichy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 84
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
A used gaming laptop would be perfect then. Can be found for $1200 or less (I've gotten 2 for $800 a piece, and my current one was $1200, but sold one of the gaming laptops I had for nearly what I paid for it, so the upgrade only cost $400).

Well you just threw my brain for a loop.

Build or not to build,
Convenience over a desktop,
What to do with what I got,
Ahhhhh...
Haha , well good to hear. I didn't think I could get it for 800 Thats not bad at all.

Could you possibly just mention a few key bottom line features I should look for?
I was thinking 2-3ghz and definetly a dedicated GPU.
Vinny Vite Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,278
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vite Vichy View Post
It is unbelievable how you can explain computers to someone that knows very little. WITH the analogy of cars (ANOTHER thing I have very little knowledge about) and still have it make complete sense to me. Bravo🙌

Ram - back burner.
I think ram I think speed so I think turbo.
When I need to be thinking engine and frame first. Understood. Sticking with what I have. Hoping they work. And will grab another 4gb to make 8. DDR3.

Completely understood about the wait and build "theory".
Completely makes sense especially with technology advancing. Not to mention the package deals and just plain deals that are limited time.

For a bigger picture into my brain:

My plan is to get this PC going. Put $2-400 into it. Use it for a couple months. Then sell it. I hate the huge size of this thing and even tho I have the emotion attachment to it. I want a laptop OR a smaller mid-low gaming system that is somewhat portable so I can use to watch movies and play 1-2 specific games. (LoL and a MMORPG like WoW.

I won't even be using the web. I use my phone for that. I want somthing I can hook up to my television downstairs to watch a movie. (Downloaded from torrents and such)
But then can bring it to my room and game.
I love the compactness of a laptop.
But want something upgradable and powerful. That isn't 3-4k.
Anyway that's a topic for another thread.
Just want it known, I don't think I intend on keeping this rig for awhile(long enough to upgrade it further) but want a few more months out of it and also really enjoying the research and building of it (another reason I don't want a laptop and want to build something)


((EDIT))

@PP Mguire-
Do you want this "junk"?
I will mail it to you if you think you could make use out of it.
If you want to send them to me that's fine. I have spare parts to see what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vite Vichy View Post
Well you just threw my brain for a loop.

Build or not to build,
Convenience over a desktop,
What to do with what I got,
Ahhhhh...
Haha , well good to hear. I didn't think I could get it for 800 Thats not bad at all.

Could you possibly just mention a few key bottom line features I should look for?
I was thinking 2-3ghz and definetly a dedicated GPU.
For 400 bucks you're looking at a pretty weak laptop. Just as an FYI.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Vinny Vite Vichy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 84
Default Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

Thanks! I PMed you about the parts.
Also, do you mean a $800 laptop?
Because I wouldn't want to get one now, I want to spend that $400 roughly into this computer. Then sell it after its in working order and put some more money together to build a small gaming rig. I've seen some Rly cool small cases. Or get a used gaming laptop for around $800.
Still up in the air on that and it's further down the road.
I found this motherboard and CPU from the retailers site near me. They are cheaper and not the same but still looking.
I know the motherboard only has dual ram slots but I will use it test mine, or grab better ones. Don't mind spending a bit more on good ones.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=063172

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=052729
Vinny Vite Vichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #50 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,278
Default Re: Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

That motherboard won't work with that CPU, and that CPU isn't the 3258.

Here's the CPU.
Canada Computers & Electronics | CPU | Intel Pentium G3258 Dual-Core Processor | Socket LGA1150, 3.20Ghz, 3MB L3 Cache, 22nm | (Retail Boxed) Gen4 (BX80646G3258)

Board.
Canada Computers & Electronics | Motherboards | ASUS H81M-E Socket 1150 Intel H81 Chipset | Dual Channel DDR3 1600 MHz, 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 | Giga LAN, 2x SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2x USB 3.0, 8x USB 2.0 | DVI/D-Sub, Micro ATX

They look to be more expensive there than they are from Newegg.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me build/rebuild! Avioz System Upgrades 1 10-07-2010 12:45 AM
rebuilding current rig - server/gaming rig.. help? anime_dude07 New Systems | Building and Buying 0 03-30-2009 11:12 AM
Upgrading my audio production rig.. rebuild! jaykai New Systems | Building and Buying 6 05-04-2007 05:52 PM
help problems after rebuild. blkchevyz Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 8 07-21-2004 02:47 PM
rebuild w/ P4 now, or wait for 64 bit? regeisle Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 2 10-30-2003 11:52 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.