Help me with my first build/barebones/desktop please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

febbz

Beta member
My budget: $700-800

You can suggest a build/barebones/desktop.

Primary computer use: Gaming
Extras: Live Streaming, Recording

I've spent 2 months looking for the right gaming desktop. I'd search for hours at a time every couple days. It's safe to say that I've obsessed over this for a little too long. I learned a lot from all of my research, I enjoyed it, but now I'm eager to buy. I can't seem to decide for myself. So I give up! I need help guys. Alright let me list what I've come up with over the past few days...

CPU: i5 Intel
-Everyone rides the i5 bandwagon, makes me feel like its necessary. I really wanted an AMD for whatever reason, I know they're cheaper, but I don't want to sacrifice performance.

GPU: Radeon HD 6850-6870
-Something based around this, I've been attached to these from the start. I also know little to nothing about any other cards.

RAM: 8GB
-I can go lower.

PSU: Must be safe.

Case: Not looking to expand. I'd like a simple clean looking case.

Motherboard: I'm not too familiar with this. Don't need expansion room for up to 16GB RAM or something crazy like that.

Fans: I'm not going to mess with overclocking. I just need enough to cool the desktop appropriately.

Disc Drive: Not important to me. Needed for OS though.

Hard Drive: Still not important. I'd like enough room for a few games and extras. I'm only using 150GB of my current 450GB HD.

So there you have it. Honestly, you don't have to follow what I listed above. Please go at it for me, I'm too excited to buy and build my first desktop. If you make a post I will be sure to interact with you. I hope someone can make my dream build happen, I wouldn't be able to thank you enough.

I'm nervous about the fans and PSU. I don't want to overheat or have my PSU fail.

I will be playing games such as: RTS, MMORPG, MOBA ... maybe even a little FPS? Primarily the 3 I listed before.

Alright cool. I'm going to try and get a Win7 disc off a friend. I think I'll go with your build though, just because I feel better having someone else showing me what to purchase.

If you attend (or know someone) at a state university you can usually get great deals through school.
I know at my university you can get Windows 7 Ultimate for $30.

But if you can get Windows for cheaper and feel like putting some more of the budget into the build I'd say upgrade the CPU a little.
The AMD Phenom II X4 975 is $30 more.

Knee-jerk reaction was to say no, but after some quick research its really not a terrible power supply.
Then I checked Newegg reviews (last resort) and I'm not sure I would risk it considering some of the responses.
So while it may perform alright for your purposes, Rosewill's quality control may leave something to be desired.

If $750 isn't too steep then the route I'd go with combo deals is:

CPU + RAM: $182 AMD Phenom II X4 975 + 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
MB + PSU: $189 Asus M5A97 + OCZ ZT 750W
Then the rest of the other components @ $378 together.

*Edit - Not sure why I upgraded the PSU there, got a little combo crazy I guess.
If you just combo the CPU and RAM and buy everything else separate its $725.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom