Help me choose a processor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monagi

Baseband Member
Having plenty of time to think up and tweak my future build keeps making me flip-flop on decisions, so I'll leave it up to ya'll! ;) So here is my situation, I am building a new system for primarily gaming. I won't be doing any video editing, rendering, etc.

So as of now, I would be best with a duo since very few games utilize a quad core, correct? However, I am looking to keep this machine around for around 1-2 yrs. Do you think I should go with a duo for now (E8400) or go ahead and get a quad (Q6600) and be a bit future proof?

Thanks~

Having plenty of time to think up and tweak my future build keeps making me flip-flop on decisions, so I'll leave it up to ya'll! ;) So here is my situation, I am building a new system for primarily gaming. I won't be doing any video editing, rendering, etc.

So as of now, I would be best with a duo since very few games utilize a quad core, correct? However, I am looking to keep this machine around for around 1-2 yrs. Do you think I should go with a duo for now (E8400) or go ahead and get a quad (Q6600) and be a bit future proof?

Thanks~

I say, you should wait until the "alleged" issues are worked out of the new quads, and the price has dropped a little on the e8400. Then decide. If I had to say for right now, I would say e8400, and OC it a little bit.
There will be a really great quad(most likely) with 12mb cache for about 300 when the price settles. Or a little more. So it is really up to you, how much you want to spend?

Yeah, I probably won't be ordering for a month or 2. My spending will be right around $300 for a processor. I am mainly just wanting to future proof a bit (even though I agree that future proofing nowadays is a bit difficult, seeing as how often new stuff seems to be coming out ;))

Yeah, I probably won't be ordering for a month or 2. My spending will be right around $300 for a processor. I am mainly just wanting to future proof a bit (even though I agree that future proofing nowadays is a bit difficult, seeing as how often new stuff seems to be coming out ;))

yeah, then wait a while. Hopefully we will soon see some news about the newest quads. They should be relatively future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom