Help me choose a GPU for upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmash

Solid State Member
Hi all. I have this computer: Newegg.com - Gateway FX Series FX6831-01 Desktop PC Intel Core i7 860(2.80GHz) 8GB DDR3 1.5TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5850 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I am wondering if i will have any problems with the 8 pin and 6 pin requirements for a Radeon 6970 on this system. I guess i'm pretty set on the 6970, sorry for the missleading title, but if there is any other gpu that will fit the power requirements please let me know. I can't figure out this power and pin requirment stuff i'm really lost!

Thanks for the help.

also, here are the power and pin requirements for the card i want (6970):
AMD Radeon

VS.

The card that is already in the system:
ATI Radeon

Here are the connectors, check your PSU to see if you have them:
http://techreport.com/r.x/psus-0907/pcie-connectors.jpg
The 6970 needs a 6-pin (on the left) and a 6+2 (on the right), or an 8-pin (the 2 extra aren't hanging off) instead of a 6+2.

I realize arguing with a brand fan is an exercise in futility, but have you considered a GTX 570?
They are cheaper than the HD 6970 and they perform about the same, plus they only need 2x 6-pins which I'm sure you have.
AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

I'll open it up later and look, then post back. I think i have before though, and i'm pretty sure there is a 6 pin with a little 2 pin thing seperated right by it. I'll let ya know.

Ok i do have the 6 pin with the 2pin next to it so i'm good to go. Roark yes i am an amd fan and i'm not switching yet :big_smile:. Do you think its worth it to upgrade a 5850 to a 6970?

Yes I think its worth upgrading, but I wouldn't right now.

The 5850 should be able to max, or close to max, any game out right now.
If you wait till, say BF3 comes out in 1-2 months, you'll get a much better price or maybe even be able to swing a 6990.

There isn't really a specific time when they "drop".
Cards generally show a slow decline in price over time, though the decline may increase when a new series drops/is about to drop.
AMD is supposed to be launching the HD 7xxx series at some point, but you'll have to Google it for details.

If you don't have the patience to wait then don't, just giving my opinion.

@ Tarmash, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom