Help me build a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbaudi

Solid State Member
Hello Tech Forums!

I posted this in the general computer section but havent been getting many hits yet, and i'd preferably like to be able the parts and such this week, If I'm able to lock down a great combination of parts.

Here goes:
I just got done reading all of the PC building guides and while I was hoping to find answers to my questions in the "recommended builds" thread, It seems the components on there were a bit outdated.

Anyways, I'm currently on an ancient dell dimension 4600 and was looking to upgrade to a newer dell, hp, etc tower. I quickly noticed that the prices got pretty high, higher than i'm willing to pay. So I turned to building it myself.

Currently, I have 1000 dollars in the bank and some parts laying around (antec truepowerII 550 watt power supply and a nice sony optical drive) that I would hopefully be able to move over to the new project. Optimally I would like to have the same specs that HP wanted $1,300+ for for under $800 or less, if possible. That would give me more money for say, a new monitor in the future.

I guess i'm just looking for a personalized build from you guys because you know a lot more than I do and I feel a bit overwhelmed when browsing newegg. I'm obviously going to need it as a general use PC but I would like to make it a little future proof as not to be outdated in a year or two, and to do some causal+some gaming (source games, Call Of Duty 4). Oh, and I would probably like to have a nice sound card, unless that is unnecessary for 2.1 speakers. Thanks in advance for any help!

Update: One of my floormates who is a pc builder and the one that will help me through this process is recommending amd processors over the intel options, of course I would like your opinions as well. Also, vista or xp? (assuming I have no preference between the two)

I guess this is pretty high performance now, so It can go here. Critique please!

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

I just responded to your other thread but since you have a more up to date parts list I'll repost here.

The power supply and optical drive you have are both good so you can sue them for the new system.

Stick with a Intel cpu, they are currently in the lead performance wise.

I would change the cpu to a e8400, it will outperform the q6600 at gaming and is a much better overclocker.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The biostar Tp45HP is a excellent motherboard and is cheaper than the one you picked.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

A HD 4870 512mb is faster than a regular GTX 260 and it would also allow you the option for crossfire in the future (although you would need a psu upgrade to run a second 4870)

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

You guys swayed me! I switched to the E8400 and I do think its the better decision after re-reading the reviews.

I also switched to the ram phil recommended me

Anyways, I can afford both the 260 core 216 and the 4870 512mb, so which one should I get? If i get the 260, i'd be less likely to want to add a second one in the future. since the 4870 seem to be getting cheaper faster that would probably be an option... then again i'd have to buy a new psu... this is complicated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom