help me build my new pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default help me build my new pc

My crappy laptop recently died and my friend, who upgrades his rig every few years gave me his intel i5-6500 for 50 bucks yesterday.It is still a decent cpu and it was a good deal so i took it. I plan on building a pc instead of buying a new laptop.

now I'm wondering what motherboard to get becuase skylake supports ddr3l and ddr4. I found this crucial 16gb kit ddr3l for 62 bucks and also 8gb ddr4 goes for around 55-65 bucks. I don't know what i should get? is there a big difference between ddr3 and ddr4 in performance?

I play some games like csgo pubg etc and edit some videos and do normal work on my computers. I also open a lot of chrome tabs and do multitasking alot so that uses lots of ram.

So what should i get? 8gb ddr4 for faster performance, or 16gb ddr3l for more memory and usability? i do plan on getting a new pc later on but im just gonna use this for like 2 more years
any help would be good

Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: help me build my new pc

The problem being is finding the board that supports the 3l as it was generally the business geared Q series chipset that had DDR3 support for Skylake on it. Z and H did too but they were more rare. All that's available on Newegg is used so if you're ok with that you can do that, or you will be stuck getting a DDR4 board new (and the used ones on Newegg are basically new priced.)

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The problem being is finding the board that supports the 3l as it was generally the business geared Q series chipset that had DDR3 support for Skylake on it. Z and H did too but they were more rare. All that's available on Newegg is used so if you're ok with that you can do that, or you will be stuck getting a DDR4 board new (and the used ones on Newegg are basically new priced.)
would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-H110M-...k:1:tongue:f:0
Old 11-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Huh, that board supports Kaby Lake as well....Interesting, cause I have a ton of DDR3 laying around *strokes beard intensely*

Sorry, yea that board will work.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote