HELP! Masters, Slaves, HDs and DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafaelr

Beta member
Hi everyone!

Great to be part of this!

Quick question: i've just received my new PC and I wanted to add a few bits from my old PC to it but having problems.

I want to add:
  1. my old HD
  2. my not-so-old DVD drive

I'm not very techy so excuse my French.

Basically the cables that connect the HDs and DVD drives to the motherboard in my new PC are completely different from the ones I knew previously. they're slimmer and sleeker.

My old drives connect via those flat cables and white-tipped power cables. The motherboard has only 1 connector for these older versions of cables.

The question is: is it possible to keep the modern drives that came with the computer as Master/Slave in themselves PLUS making another Master/Slave connection for the old drives? Will there be any conflicting?

It's gotta be done this way because the plugs aren't compatible, so I couldn't, e.g., make the new HD master of the old HD slave. I have to create 2 "couples" = New master HD / New slave DVD and then Old master HD / Old master DVD.

Is this at all possible?

are completely different from the ones I knew previously. they're slimmer and sleeker.
I think you're referring to SATA cables, am I correct? Very similar to this:
ultraflex-sata-cable-1.jpg

SATA devices do not require master/slave settings, only the older ones which you seem to be familiar with (IDE), which have much bulkier cables.

Could you post your system specs?

Yes it is.

The old wide flat cable is called ide. With newer motherboards you generally have one ide connection which allows 2 devices. You would hook up your old cd and hd to this with a single old school cable. You can either set the one at the end as master and the one in the middle as slave or set them both as cable select.

The new smaller cable is called sata. There are no master slave jumpers on new sata drives. You only connect one drive per cable. You can run both sata and ide with no problems. If for some reason when you connect the old drives your computer tried to boot from them you just need to set the boot order correctly in bios.

I thought i would just add that those white tip power connectors are called molex connectors. SATA drives have replaced their power system with SATA power which is similar to the SATA data cable except it is slightly longer.

I thought i would just add that those white tip power connectors are called molex connectors. SATA drives have replaced their power system with SATA power which is similar to the SATA data cable except it is slightly longer.

Picture for OP's reference, SATA power cable.
sataindex.jpg

I think you're referring to SATA cables, am I correct? Very similar to this:
ultraflex-sata-cable-1.jpg

SATA devices do not require master/slave settings, only the older ones which you seem to be familiar with (IDE), which have much bulkier cables.

Could you post your system specs?

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

Yes, that is the one, so they're all SATA. It also makes sense b/c I couldn't see any jump pins on them...

can't post the system specs @ the mo as i'm @ work but could do when I get home.... but I think this is pretty much solved! :) thanks a lot for your help!!!! :laughing:

Some SATA drives might have a jumper to set it between SATA 1.5Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s, but there's no master/slave on SATA drives. There's only one device per cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom