HELP! Masters, Slaves, HDs and DVDs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question HELP! Masters, Slaves, HDs and DVDs

Hi everyone!

Great to be part of this!

Quick question: i've just received my new PC and I wanted to add a few bits from my old PC to it but having problems.

I want to add:
  1. my old HD
  2. my not-so-old DVD drive

I'm not very techy so excuse my French.

Basically the cables that connect the HDs and DVD drives to the motherboard in my new PC are completely different from the ones I knew previously. they're slimmer and sleeker.

My old drives connect via those flat cables and white-tipped power cables. The motherboard has only 1 connector for these older versions of cables.

The question is: is it possible to keep the modern drives that came with the computer as Master/Slave in themselves PLUS making another Master/Slave connection for the old drives? Will there be any conflicting?

It's gotta be done this way because the plugs aren't compatible, so I couldn't, e.g., make the new HD master of the old HD slave. I have to create 2 "couples" = New master HD / New slave DVD and then Old master HD / Old master DVD.

Is this at all possible?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: HELP! Masters, Slaves, HDs and DVDs

Quote:
are completely different from the ones I knew previously. they're slimmer and sleeker.
I think you're referring to SATA cables, am I correct? Very similar to this:

SATA devices do not require master/slave settings, only the older ones which you seem to be familiar with (IDE), which have much bulkier cables.

Could you post your system specs?

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yes it is.

The old wide flat cable is called ide. With newer motherboards you generally have one ide connection which allows 2 devices. You would hook up your old cd and hd to this with a single old school cable. You can either set the one at the end as master and the one in the middle as slave or set them both as cable select.

The new smaller cable is called sata. There are no master slave jumpers on new sata drives. You only connect one drive per cable. You can run both sata and ide with no problems. If for some reason when you connect the old drives your computer tried to boot from them you just need to set the boot order correctly in bios.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

I thought i would just add that those white tip power connectors are called molex connectors. SATA drives have replaced their power system with SATA power which is similar to the SATA data cable except it is slightly longer.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron5 View Post
I thought i would just add that those white tip power connectors are called molex connectors. SATA drives have replaced their power system with SATA power which is similar to the SATA data cable except it is slightly longer.
Picture for OP's reference, SATA power cable.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamikotai View Post
I think you're referring to SATA cables, am I correct? Very similar to this:

SATA devices do not require master/slave settings, only the older ones which you seem to be familiar with (IDE), which have much bulkier cables.

Could you post your system specs?
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

Yes, that is the one, so they're all SATA. It also makes sense b/c I couldn't see any jump pins on them...

can't post the system specs @ the mo as i'm @ work but could do when I get home.... but I think this is pretty much solved! thanks a lot for your help!!!! :laughing:
Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Some SATA drives might have a jumper to set it between SATA 1.5Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s, but there's no master/slave on SATA drives. There's only one device per cable.