Help With Little Upgrade :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elemination

Solid State Member
Hi all! This is my 1st post as you can see, and well I hope I registered at the right forum for some help! :)

This *Upgrade* is for my older PC.

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 3000+
CPU Alias Barton
CPU Stepping A2
Package Type 453 Pin PGA

Motherboard Name FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31)
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Motherboard Chipset nForce2-IGP

That is some info. on my older PC. I would like to upgrade the *Processor* and *Memory* to at least 1GIG since I already have 1 Stick of 512 DDR SDRAM Memory Module on it installed.

Help me out on what CPU and Memory Module (Good, but cheap) I can get for this PC! :) Thank you.

well do you want to replace the whole ram or buy another stick. It is recomended that you find the same brand if you want another stick. Also if possible the same EXACT stick. And If I were you I would upgrade the motherboard. I dont think they have much for that one. Find like a socket 939 board.

Hmm, I see, because all I wanted is just to add another 512MB Stick and upgrade the processor!

So, nothing can be done?

Your CPU and mobo are socket A, which only went to 3200+. If your rig is not a pre-built (i.e., Dell, HP, eMacines, etc.) you can overclock your CPU a bit.

If you're going to one gig, and already have a stick of 512, buy another stick of 512. If you plan on going past a gig, but a stick of gig now (put it in slot #1), and then replace the 512 (now in slot #2) later).

If you want more speed than that, you'll have to move to a different socket (939 or AM2). With 939, you can use your current RAM, but AM2 takes DDR2. Either way you will need a new mobo and CPU... possibly a new PSU (depending on the wattage of your current one). Plus you would have to reinstall Windows...

Thanks *Trotter*, so now, where can I buy the 3200+ CPU at and the 512 DDR SDRAM at? For cheap of course and a good popular place at?

I wouldn't even bother upgrading your cpu to the 3200. It would only give you a tiny bit of performance gain.

Good places to get stuff online are

newegg.com
zipzoomfly.com
tigerdirect.com

well upgrading your cpu isnt a good idea. good luck finding one and even if you do it wont make a big difference, but upping your ram to 1 gig will make a noticable difference. i however would recomend upgarding to socket 939 anyway. the prices on them has dropped alot over the summer, and for very little compsred to others you will have a good vista ready machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom