Help! Fans Come On, No Post, No Screen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgster

Baseband Member
I just built a computer for my brother today, it was my first time.
The specs are in a previous thread i posted the other day.

Anyway...

I turn on the PC, all the fans come on - including the pci-e graphics fan.
The loading and power lights come on at the front.

But....

There is nothing on my monitor (the graphics card i am using has 2 dvi outputs so i has to use a dvi-vga converter for my monitor, would this make any difference? also there is no onboard graphics and output so i cant just plug it into the mobo)

And...

I hear no post, there is not one beep. I have put the 'speaker' cable both ways round on the mobo and still no sound.

Whats wrong please please help!

I just took out the ram and video card, and the extra cables like USB front and back pannels. Now im getting 3 beeps!!!!

Put the video card back in, still 3 beeps and nothing on screen.

Put 1 stick of my ram back in and i get no beeps, nothing on screen either.

Does this mean my ram is faulty? i will try an old stick of pc3200 instead of my pc5400, see if that makes a difference.

please help me guys!

ok, the pc3200 dosent fit in the slots.

basically whats happening now is if i have no ram in i get 3 beeps,
if i put 1 or 2 of my crucial balistix pc5400 in i get no beeps at all.
what does this mean? is it my ram or my mobo or what? help!

I had a similar problem. Are you using ddr or ddr2? Cause when i tried to upgrade to ddr2 my pc would come on but would not post. I think it was a compatibility issue with the pqi ram that i bought. So I just sent the ddr2 back in and got a stick of ddr (kingston hyper-x).
(my mobo had ddr and ddr2 slots)

And try resetting the cmos jumper. And no, i used a dvi-vga adapter when i first built my machine. It makes no difference what-so-ever.

So yea. ram. thats probably your problem.

Yeah its DDR2, expensive stuff too.
I have no jumper (plactic bit) to reset anything, never came with my mobo. i have taken out the battery for 5 mins but will try it again.
i will take the stuff out and run it on cardboard to see if its shorting.
thanks for your reply!

ive taken it all out and done it on cardboard and i still get 3 beeps with no ram then no beeps with ram in. does that mean the rams faulty?
this is really anoying and its really anoyed my bro too.
should i try and borrow some ddr2 from someone if i can and try that?

i think that 3 beeps tell you that there is a RAM problem and since you dont have any RAM in, then there is your problem.
Maybe no beeps mean that POST was successful. Mine doesnt beep and it works.
You said that your video card had two outputs. Have you tried the other one?

had the same problem yesterday, i was using crucial ballistix ddr 1 ram, and to fix my problem i only put in one stick first and cleared the cmos, then i tested it again and it worked, now the comp is up and running, i had 3 beeps (1 long, 2 short)

i have tried the second output with no avail.
how can i clear my cmos - just take batery out for a while?
because i have no plastic bit for the jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom