HELP! Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
This comes from a different forum (for a strategy game called Dominions 3)... someone was discussing trying to find out how much SSDs affected the game's performance. I mentioned that I had a RAID0 SSD setup that I could use to test some stuff. Here is a reply, and then a reply from another member:

The RAID0 SSD setup sounds awesome... I'll consider the design for my next system as well. :up:

I wouldn't. You'll take a performance hit over time because the TRIM command won't work through the RAID.

I'm sure I'm missing something, because the people here who helped me build my system seem knowledgeable enough that they wouldn't have steered me in the wrong direction. Is TRIM working with my setup, and if not, is there something else the OCZ drives are using (I've seen vague references to firmware stuff, but I haven't been able to nail anything down)? If not, what can I do to prevent the performance hit?

I never suggested raiding them, maybe someone else did. But your alright, your drives have the SandForce controller that has it's own "TRIM" type of support built-in.

Awesome. Like I said, I have faith in you guys, I didn't think someone would have sent me down the wrong path.

Is there anything I need to do with it, or is it automatic?

Have you went through the http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/?

Other than that everything is pretty much automatic.

I've been using a OCZ Agility2 SSD on my Windows XP Pro x64 PC for close to 3 months now and it hasn't lost any speed. With no TRIM support in WinXP my drive should of slowed down tremendously by now, but the SandForce Controller still has it going strong.

A couple of questions on that... my power supply flat out says to not use a UPS. I live in a town with it's own power supply; we've only had one blackout in the ten years I've lived here... how risky is it to turn off the write-cache buffer flushing? Does the fact that I have Acronis Non-Stop Backup mitigate the risks? I don't do too much stuff where data loss is a huge issue, but I'm worried about file corruption.

Also, I'm assuming I need some pagefile, as I don't have a data disk, just the two drives set to RAID0.

earwicker7 said:
my power supply flat out says to not use a UPS. I live in a town with it's own power supply; we've only had one blackout in the ten years I've lived here...
What??? By your power supply do you mean your power company? That's total garbage. They can't control Lightning can they? And I suppose they use those new power transformers that never wear out.

A UPS will protect you from a blackout but they also make sure your power is at a clean constant level. Even the best power companies have some fluctuations in there voltage outputs.

Don't use a UPS. That really bothers me. It's absurd. I guess your not allowed to buy household rechargeable batteries either. And I guess you won''t be able to own an electric car either. I mean why bother if your not allowed to charge a battery which is what a UPS is.

earwicker said:
how risky is it to turn off the write-cache buffer flushing? Does the fact that I have Acronis Non-Stop Backup mitigate the risks? I don't do too much stuff where data loss is a huge issue, but I'm worried about file corruption.

There is risk in everything, but I've had sudden system shutdowns without any problems.

earwicker said:
Also, I'm assuming I need some pagefile, as I don't have a data disk, just the two drives set to RAID0.

you need to spend a few dollars on a small HDD, you've got all these great parts and your cheaping out over $50 or less. And you need to buy a UPS.

Slay... Do you really think a UPS is need?? I' don't know man... You seem wishy washy on this subject.

wishy washy? How? A lot of people don't have a UPS and they don't worry about it. And you can have a sudden system shutdown while using a UPS, all you have to do is reset the system before it goes through it's shutdown procedure. And if asked, I will always recommend a UPS.

What??? By your power supply do you mean your power company? That's total garbage. They can't control Lightning can they? And I suppose they use those new power transformers that never wear out.

No, not that. Silverstone, the company that makes my power supply, has a big warning in the user manual saying not to use a circuit breaker or a UPS with this specific model. Apparently it draws so much power that it will fry them or something. They say that you should only use it plugged straight in to a wall socket. I'm not an electrician, but there is precedent for this; in the audiophile world, high-power stereo amps are always plugged directly into the wall, with no power conditioning (which we use with everything else).

I do have a UPS, I just don't use it on this computer.

you need to spend a few dollars on a small HDD, you've got all these great parts and your cheaping out over $50 or less. And you need to buy a UPS.

Not cheaping out, just didn't know I needed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom