Help choosing a tv tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

prometheus66

Solid State Member
I was hoping to buy a tv tuner for my dell dimension desktop. I was wondering which one to get? I would use it to watch and record tv. My brother recommended hauppauge. A remote would be nice too, but it seems like some require MCE which i dont have. My brother also said to get one with hardware encoding so it doesnt take up as much of my systems usage (so i know ill probably want that). What recommendations do you have for brands and models?

Dell Dimension 8250
3.06GHz with HT
768 Mb RAM
120+400 Gb HD
ATI Radeon 9700
Soundblaster Audigy

Oh, and i was hoping to spend no more than 100$, but ill probably be willing to spend more if its worth it in quality/performance.

Thanks for your help

your brother gives pretty good advice :). definitely look for a tuner that has a hardware encoder if you can afford one. they perform far better than ones using software and enable to use some other nifty features that aren't really possible with software. Hauppage is a very good manufacturer but i can't really help you out with a model. you may be interested in getting a "hybrid" tuner, that is one that can receive both analogue and digital signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom