Help choosing cpu. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help choosing cpu.

Hi, I plan on building a pc and was planning on buying a intel pentium 4 3.0 ghz cpu for my new system. But, then I thought twice about what people were saying about how I should go for a AMD cpu instead. I was wondering which cheapest AMD cpu can equal or exceed the speed and performance of the intel pentium 4 3.0ghz cpu? Thanks.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
My Swag is on!

IIRC, the AMD 3000+ and higher chips are supposed to be equal to the Intel 3.0ghz cpu's

Optical Drive Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD burner
RAM G.Skill DDR2 800 Dual channel 2GB (2 x 1GB)
GPU MSI HD 4830 OC
Audio AudioTrak Prodigy HD2
Speakers Insignia NS-B2111
Receiver JVC UX-G70
PSU Hiper Type-R 580 watts
Case Lian Li PC-7SB w/Window
Monitor Lenovo L222
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

What the Hell? Athlon 64 3000+ no more?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ then.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...cpu-games.html

It beats the Pentium 4 3.8GHz in a lot of cases

the "3200+" means that it is equal to a Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor in regular tasks. The Athlon 64 is much better in gaming.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

AMD is taking over the market. It has more to offer to the average consumer I'd go with AMD. I also heard that the 3200 was on par with the 3.2Ghz Pentium 4.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
AMD is taking over the market. It has more to offer to the average consumer I'd go with AMD. I also heard that the 3200 was on par with the 3.2Ghz Pentium 4.
It IS. In regular tasks that is. Gaming isn't a regular task. Check out the comparisons in BF2 that I posted above.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

I hate to say it tyler, but AMD isn't taking over the CPU market.

AMD does have better processors for gamers and their new dual cores and opterons are benchmarked and proven to out performance almost all of intels CPU's. But, when it comes to $$$ & Market Share... Intel still holds AMD in the palm of it's hand.

It's really funny because when I purpose to use an Athlon 3200+ in a custom build for a client, they always look at me and say, "a what?" Why not a P4? And I have to spend 10 minutes explaining why.

I'd say a huge majority of PC users don't even know that AMD exists. A lot of people confuse a CPU as simply being a Pentium Processor. They don't realize that there is another CPU maker on this planet.

How many Intel Commercials vs. AMD commercials do you see on TV?

Not to mention "DELL" only sells intel... Actually they are subcontracting "AMD" systems at customer request to a small taiwanese company... They won't even build them theirselves.. Because they can't because they are under a long contract with Intel to only use their CPU's. That stands true for a lot of OEM companies.

It's sad but true.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HAVOC2k5
I'd say a huge majority of PC users don't even know that AMD exists.
Before I got into hardware (basically before summer this year) I didn't know about ANY AMD processors. I used to be excited at the prospect of getting a 2.0GHz Celeron. Thats how the brain of someone that doesn't know about computers works, more or less. The first time I heard about AMD was back when 3.4GHz P4s came out. I used to ask my dad if AMDs were good processors. He'd say they were but he didn't know how good (I guess he didn't know about the naming scheme). I thought the 3200+ @ 2.0GHz sucked *** compared to that 2.6GHz P4 desktop going for the same price, lol.

I hate myself for that. Self, you were a freakin dip****. Keep your mouth (and brain) shut when you don't know what you're talking about.

^^ First self-flame on the internet?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
!!GAMER!!

I've always perfered AMD CPU's over intel for about 6 years all the way back to my compaq with a k7 slot CPU and it is still running to this day.Even my notebook is AMD.Dell is selling AMD CPU's on their website.Maybe its a sign that their is a chance they may start selling them normaly, but still I wouldnt buy a dell. Hp sells them in their pre-made systems.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to sk84blind84 Send a message via Yahoo to sk84blind84

Hey bro, it all depends on what you want to do...for some people intel chips are better...for others AMD's are better...its all about what you want....if you want a KICK *** gaming pc go with the AMD 64 4000+...over clock it to match the FX-57 :-D save yourself 400 bones

RAM: OCZ Plat 2 GB 2-3-2-5
GPU: eVGA 7800GT
SPU: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: OCZ 520watt
HD: Western D 250GB 16mg Cache
Closed Thread