Help to choose monitor... for gaming - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Northelim
Default Help to choose monitor... for gaming

I am torn aprart between these two... for my Radeon HD 590 (Unless something new comes out) When I buy a new built PC in a month and a half...

LG

Newegg.com - LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package - LCD Monitors

Samsung

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

Which one do you guys suggest and why???

Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to glenskey
Default Re: Help to choose monitor... for gaming

I would go with the LG --it has a much faster response time at 2ms, and when gaming it's always best to have the fastest rate possible. it also has the highest contrast ratio(difference from darkest black to lightest white) so the extra 10bucks you have to pay is well worth it
but in most other respects they are pretty much identical, hope i've helped

Old 12-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenskey View Post
I would go with the LG --it has a much faster response time at 2ms, and when gaming it's always best to have the fastest rate possible. it also has the highest contrast ratio(difference from darkest black to lightest white) so the extra 10bucks you have to pay is well worth it
but in most other respects they are pretty much identical, hope i've helped
Hm, makes sense, thank you man I think I will go with the LG pretty much =D
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I'm gonna have to disagree. I would always choose Samsung over LG. Samsung has a much higher level of customer satisfaction. The difference between 2 and 5 ms is negligible.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiebuilderguy View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. I would always choose Samsung over LG. Samsung has a much higher level of customer satisfaction. The difference between 2 and 5 ms is negligible.
the difference between a 2.3 ghz processor and a 2.4 ghz processor is also negligible, but the extra 100mhz is still important
Old 12-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Important how? Maybe if you're benchmarking , you would see a tiny difference. In real-world applications , though , I can't tell the difference between my E8400 @ 3.6ghz and 4.23ghz. Likewise , you are unlikely to notice a difference between 2 and 5 ms. You will , however notice such things as : dead pixels , brightness , color quality , darkness levels , and general overall picture quality. Look around , read the reviews , and you're likely to come to the same conclusion as me : Samsung is generally a better manufacturer of LCD monitors.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Samsung's also 1920x1200 while the LG is 1920x1080.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hm... I'll read the reviews, prolly go with Samsung tho , thanks for everyones opinions!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiebuilderguy View Post
Important how? Maybe if you're benchmarking , you would see a tiny difference. In real-world applications , though , I can't tell the difference between my E8400 @ 3.6ghz and 4.23ghz. Likewise , you are unlikely to notice a difference between 2 and 5 ms. You will , however notice such things as : dead pixels , brightness , color quality , darkness levels , and general overall picture quality. Look around , read the reviews , and you're likely to come to the same conclusion as me : Samsung is generally a better manufacturer of LCD monitors.
whichever way you look at it, an extra 100mhz it will still push ones and zeros faster.

it's the same with a computer monitor, however we are concerning how fast it takes for a pixel to change colour, and it is more obvious. when you are gaming, the lag that is posed with a slower response --if only by 0.3 of a second-- is very noticeable.

you have to remember that this is a monitor for gaming.

i, unlike you, cannot quote on customer satisfaction of the entire planet. i just know which monitor is more suitable for the purpose required, which is the LG monitor
Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

1 ms = 1/1000 of one second. 3 ms difference = .003 second difference. Enough said.

Closed Thread