Help choose Hardware for High-End PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Private_Shon

In Runtime
I've run into some money recently, and i'm planning on buying a new PC. I've got 5500$AUD (4,305.04 USD) to spend and the stuff i've chosen is costing me 4750$AUD. Also i'm not sure if the parts like the PSU and the graphics would work together any help would be appreciated.

Core 2 Duo E6700 $759.00
POV 8800GTX D2H $930.00
4X 1GB G.Skill DDRII-800 (PC2-6400) 5-5-5-15 Dual Channel ($370.00X2) $740.00
Antec 900 Case $198.00
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W $305.00
ASUS P5N32-E SLI $355.00

Seagate ST3750640NS
NL35, 3.5", 750GB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA2 3.0Gb/s, NCQ $704.00
20" LCD : SyncMasterTM Black $451.00
Logitech Laser Mouse G5 $87.00
Logitech Media Keyboard Elite $36.00
Hardware Installation & Testing (Full System HW) FROM $30-$60 $60.00
Logitech X-530 $90.00
Liteon SHM-165H6S(BLK) $72.00
Asus DRW-1608P3S(BLK) $55.00

This system will own, but to save you money, I suggest getting the e6600 instead. It's about $200 cheaper and just .2 slower. $200 more for a .2 increase in speed is not worth it, for the e6700. You can overclock the e6600 past it. Also the PSU is overkill, and you're not SLIing. So I suggest an OCZ GameXStream 600W.

Everything looks good but cut your RAM in half and get a 2GB kit, Save the money, you won't need 4GB of RAM. Also your PSU seems excessive, You could run an Antec 550 watt with that system for less than that thermaltake PSU. I don't know where you're ordering from though since you're in Australia, So some things might not be available, not sure. I like the case you chose too, Simple and attractive. You should have some fun overclocking that thing!

Is there a disadvantage to be prepaired for SLiing? coz i'm not sure. some dude said prepairing for SLi later is useless, you should only get SLi right away or not use it at all.

Oh and the E6700 i could probably push farther than the E6600. Was gonna get the X6800, but total rubbish with the price.

And about cooling, should i get something for the CPU? i do have a bit of money to spare.

[EDIT] Cut my ram was what the last salesman for my old PC said, now i am desperate for more ram for my old PC, never can be over prepaired... Anyway, i could do more stuff quicker.

Well, I'm just saying cut the ram because you already have a beast of a CPU and 2GB is pretty much the sweet spot for a gaming rig. And if you have money, invest in a zalemen CPU cooler and some arctic silver thermal paste. Also SLI is something you can "prepare" for if you'd like to use it at some point. I don't see the point in buying two cards though when you can just buy one really good card and be done with it.

Post the website that you're buying this from.

Drop the processor to an E6600. This will overclock this as far as the E6700.

Drop the memory to 2 x 1GB. Nothing uses more than that at this moment, and you can always add another 2 x 1GB if the need arises. Note: YOU WILL NOT be able to do anything quicker simply by having a large amount of RAM. The RAM has to be used, and if 1.5GB are being used, then you will see ZERO difference between 4GB and 2GB memory.

Drop the PSU to something more reasonable. Its way overkill. I'm getting tired of repeating myself, so I'll just link this.

Good Lord, drop the motherboard. See if you can get a hold of the ASUS P5B Deluxe. It'll do everything that the P5N32 can do.

Change the Hard Drives to smaller versions, and then combine them to add up to your 750GB. It'll save you a lot of money too.

IIRC, the Blue Orb II is made by Thermaltake. You'll want either the Zalman 9500 or 9700.

Whichever one floats your boat, I don't think they make a bad cooler. Just make sure you get one that fits your CPU socket. The only thing to worry about with Zalman is the size, but you have a roomy case so you'd be fine.

www.umart.net oh and even with SLi 8800s i won't need 850W?

Oh and i do lots of stuff at the same time, so i might as well get a crazy amount of ram, vista allows it too.

probably going with the golden orb II. looks good.

Nah, you still won't need that amount of watts to run that. The thing is you wanna look more for a good trusted PSU company more so than alot of watts. A good 500 watt will outperform and outlast a crappy 1000 watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom