Help buying motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello all, I made another post about this and I'm down to 2 boards. I currently have the MSI P6N and it has been a great board, so I was considering getting another. Here are the two choices, any help on why one is better then the other is greatly appreciated.

Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The gigabyte is out of stock on NewEgg where I usually do my buying, but I can wait or purchase somewhere else if it's better.

I also see there is a platinum version of the MSI P6N, no clue what the difference is besides $30.

This should be it, once I pick this I should be done.

CPU is E6750 (Zalman Cooler)
2GB of A-Data Ram
8800 GTS eVGA
Samsung Sata 20x DVD writer
500GB Seagate Sata
SB Audigy 2ZS

I know the A-Data ram is tested to work well with the Gigabyte, but I'm a bit nervous about it on the MSI. I picked up some G.Skill ram initially on that board and it wouldn't post. After throwing in some other ram I up'd the voltage on the ram and was able to post with the G.Skill, but even after adjusting timings multiple times and voltage the system was still not stable so I had to send it back and ended up with some DDR2800 Corsair.

Ewiz has the Gigabyte board for a great price and free shipping, but I've never ordered from them before. Just love the NewEgg service and after sale customer service.

I do not use RAID, and unsure about SLI, it could be an option for me one day, I don't know.

Thanks for any help, if you need more info please ask. Any other boards you feel would be better let me know or drop a NewEgg link :)

Although my knowledge of Motherboards is rather limited, i've heard many great things about the P35 chipsets, as well as the gibabyte boards. Aslo, clubit might have it at a cheaper price.

If the Zalman doesn't fit I also have an Artic Cooler Freezer Pro.

Looks like the P35 is a definite winner. I guess I just liked the idea of already being familiar with the MSI :)

That Abit board has a great price. What's with all the whining about Dual Boot issues? Sora, how is the Abit better then the Gigabyte? And would there be any issues you think with the A-data ram?

I think Abit made the board for my first build. I beat that poor board to death and it's still running now after many years. I believe they gave good support too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom