Help building a very high performance system. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help building a very high performance system.

hello everybody,

after reading through the forums i decided to post my needs for a system im building and find out what options everybody can give me. price is not dead set but i dont want to spend a fortune. Im trying to build a very high performance water cooled gaming and graphics system.

The only requirements i have are the case and it has to be water cooled unless somebody can give me a really good reason why not to do it. any help i can get would be greatly appreciated.

Case U2-UFO Black Powder Coat - Solid Top
http://mountainmods.com/product_info...products_id=79

i would like to do an SLI system not sure what will give me the best power for gaming and graphics editing.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Ok well why do you NEED liquid cooling? Are you overclocking? If your not a stock heatsink and fan will do you fine. You'll probably looking for something like:

Motherboard: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D
CPU: AMD Opteron 170
Ram: Corsair XMS (for overclocking), corsair value select (for non overclocking) both 2GB dual channel.
Videocard(s): e-VGA 7900GT (if you want to get the GTX you'd have to get an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe because of the cards heatsink)
Powersupply: Antec TruePower 550 SLI

I suggest taking a close look at this before buying: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=79791

Old 04-17-2006, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by reggie_da_man
Ok well why do you NEED liquid cooling? Are you overclocking? If your not a stock heatsink and fan will do you fine. You'll probably looking for something like:

Motherboard: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D
CPU: AMD Opteron 170
Ram: Corsair XMS (for overclocking), corsair value select (for non overclocking) both 2GB dual channel.
Videocard(s): e-VGA 7900GT (if you want to get the GTX you'd have to get an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe because of the cards heatsink)
Powersupply: Antec TruePower 550 SLI

I suggest taking a close look at this before buying: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=79791
I agree with two exceptions:

1. I wouldn't buy "Value" any brand. I would buy OCZ memory for the DFI board.

2. PSU - OCZ Powerstream 520W. See this link:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

One other point, I believe that you can use the DFI board for the GTX card, also. That is what I will have in my box. See my sig.
- OCZ 2GB (2 X 1024) DDR (500) PC-4000 EL Gold Gamer Ext. XTC (OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K)
- OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI ATX, BTX, EPS12V 520W
- XFX Geforce 7900 GTX 512MB (665/1630)
- HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5\" SATA 3.0Gb/s x 2 (RAID)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to thebleakness

Quote:
Originally posted by old_geekster50
I agree with two exceptions:

1. I wouldn't buy "Value" any brand. I would buy OCZ memory for the DFI board.

2. PSU - OCZ Powerstream 520W. See this link:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854
I agree with you on both points. DFIs are extemely picky when it comes to RAM, some Value ram will not work with them at all. That psu was also recommended by the DFI forums as the best all around psu for those mobos.

I wouldnt by that case IMO because its quite expensive and you could get something else that would do the job better. Without knowing a good budget its kind of hard to make a list for you but i would go with some amd X2 cpu, a 7900GT or GTX gpu, dfi mobo, ocz powerstream psu, couple hdds for w/e purposes, ram etc. Think of a good budget and if your going to overclock, that will help us out a lot more.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i plan to over clock as much as possible. but i also plan to put this system under alot of stress. just want to make a water cooled system, because of the cooling power i can get over air.

basically i want to build a monster gaming pc. that will perform very well under very heavy load. such as rendering 3d graphics on a large scale. and gaming on top end settings.

a rough budget, hmmm, probably about $2000 on the system itself, not including a monitor or any other accessories
Old 04-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Go to this link: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php?

Start reading and you will see that these guys are getting great OC's on air. Alot of them are using Opty 170's as was recommend to you. They are great OC'ers.

My sig. will cost me $1849 at the Egg after rebates.
- OCZ 2GB (2 X 1024) DDR (500) PC-4000 EL Gold Gamer Ext. XTC (OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K)
- OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI ATX, BTX, EPS12V 520W
- XFX Geforce 7900 GTX 512MB (665/1630)
- HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5\" SATA 3.0Gb/s x 2 (RAID)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay i can understand the argument for air.
the case i want for the look and the space.
honestly my main concern is running a top notch graphics system without getting hot and with no performance problems. so can anybody suggest anything as far as an entire system build that would give me what i want? water or air, just about about case but would prefer something metal and black
Old 04-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ThermalTake make some good cases, the Tai Chi has water cooling included. for your purposes opteron is definitely the way to go, perhaps a 170 or 175? the 175 is approximately equal to the x2 4400+ but can run under more stressful conditions. i too would reccomend OCZ ram (i really don't like Corsair XMS).

Closed Thread